Retrofiting to late model running gear

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Chevy Mann, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Chevy Mann

Chevy Mann Member

I want later model running gear and engine (350 w/400 turbo) for my 52 chevy 1/2 ton. I have a 85 chevy suburban. Would it be easier to put the surburban engine,transmission & differential in the 52 frame or retrofit the 52 body to the surburban frame? I'm sure I would have to shorten the wheelbase of the surburban frame.

2. Craig

Craig Guest

It would easier to put the running gear in then to put the body on the frame.Shortening the frame is a major job and isn't recommended unless you have expert fabrication skills.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. nick65

nick65 Member

hey according to what i have researched a s-10 or s-15 reg cab long bed is the way to go.. the dimensions are so close very little work needs done except for body mounts and such

4. BigChevy

BigChevy Member

I had a 67 chevy short bed truck. Decided I wanted a 4x4 so I bought a 74 chevy surburban 4x4. Did the change over you are talking about doing. If you want a long bed you do not have to shorten the frame. If you want a short bed you do have to shorten the frame. I did shorten my frame I cut it with a sawsall in a z-cut under the cab and pull the to halfs back together tack weld them. Measured to make sure it was strait and the wheel base was right also that the frame was not bowed up or down or left or right. Than had a friend to come over and weld it to gether grind the weld down and than weld a plate on top of that. He is a certified welder I have been off road with the truck and have had no trouble with the frame even with a 6" lift kit and 35"tires. Shortening the frame is not that hard to do but you will need someone who can weld really good. You will need the cab mounts for the frame year and not the truck year.
    For the truck bed I took off some of the brackets from my 67 chevy and put them on the 74 frame to make the truck bed bolt on right. For the cab mounts I only had to move the back two brackets that hold the cab mounts.