reverse lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by 65Matt, Jan 25, 2008.

1. 65Matt

65Matt Member

My 65 c10 has a 4 speed manual trans. I don't currently have reverse lights but was wanting them. Can they be added to my truck and how? Thanks, Matt

2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

is it a fleet side or step side cant remember? any i believe that you can go to the local parts house and buy a set of lights and they have a clear spot on them that can serve as back up lights . i might be wrong for ur p/u but it woreked on mine {65 stepside} i think they are mainly used on trailers but it worked on my truck . {the round ones}

3. bonvo

bonvo Member

yeah that will work for the lighting half but there has to be a signal from the trans to make that work is it a newer poerplan and transmission or stock?

4. Melman

Melman Member

Back up Llights

Sure you can. All you have to do is pull a hot wire off the battery or the fuse block. Run that circuit to a toggle switch placed under the dash.Then run the wire to the rear of the vehicle to the light on one side. Make up that light and run another wire out of the light you just made up over to the other light . Make sure you have a good ground to your truck. Go back to the place where you have the connection to battery or fuse block and make it hot.
    All you have to do is turn the switch on when you want back up lights. Your 4 speed trans will not matter. Make sure you wires are not going to be damaged on sharp surface areas or close to exhaust pipes. Use cable ties or electrical tape to secure the wiring. You can do the same method for front fog or driving lights. I do recommend you have it under fuse protection. You can get fuse devices at most auto supply stores.

Melman

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

A rare piece is the backup light switch and mount for the SM420 trans tht came in these trucks. The piece mounted to the shifter mount on the trans
    and light switch was triggered but the shifter position when placed in Reverse.

Good Luck finding one !! If you can find a 67 or later truck with that trans, it will have the switch on the trans as the feds mandated it in that year.

Val