rewire progress and today's goals

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, May 26, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

With much appreciated help from you all, I am moving along nicely. Yesterday I removed the headlights and parking lights. That resulted in ordering a bunch of parts from our sponsor! I also dropped ratchet behind grill while taking out parking light. Spent 15 minutes fishing it out.

Today I want to work on the continuing to disassemble the grill. I have the gauge cluster as the next objective. My plan is to disconnect the oil pressure gauge. I then want to remove the wet bulb/temp line at the block. A few questions remain.

1. should I remove the choke and throttle cables first? Then the oil line? Seems this would allow more room to remove grommet.

2. The wet bulb line has two nuts at the block , see pic. Which nut, square / upper one or regular nut lower do I remove to get bulb out?

3. Any tips for removing grommets?

4. I ordered new terminal boards for the fenders, I see they are popped riveted into fender. I can drill them out, how do I replicate them? Can you purchase replacement rivets?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. denisf

denisf Member

Successfully removed gauge cluster with temp line intact!

3. denisf

denisf Member

Well just about all wires have been removed from the truck. Need to get at gas gauge wire that goes through the floor, looks like might have to remove gas tank. Also need to fish a new wire for dome light. the headlight dimmer three prong device is giving me some fits getting the screws loose but I will prevail. Progress

Attached Files:

4. coilover

coilover Member

Good job on the temp sender, they are often really stuck in. The square nut unscrews for the sender. The hex fitting has pipe threads on the outside and a shoulder for the sender bulb to seat against on the inside. The fender terminal boards had rivets, often brass, and not pop rivets.

5. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks, need to find new rivets. Also, disassemble is complete. hi/low beam switch gave me some trouble, so I removed it and then disconnected terminals and cleaned it up.

Good progress, ahead of schedule. I certainly can see why a shop would have to charge serious money for a project like this.