rewire project nearing compleation

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, Aug 10, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

I am down to reinstalling gauges and a few wires left in the project. Looking for ideas to check/test install prior to hooking the battery up. Any thoughts.

I used the harness from our sponsor, many extra wires, thoughts?

In particular, the alternator has two sets. One for the single wire and one two wire plug. Can I cut dead end these?

Thanks Denis

2. Zig

Zig Member

I forget what wires I had left over. Seems like there was a reverse light wire that went to the back that I didn't need, and changing to 12 volt left me with an extra wire up front. It seems like I didn't wait until I was done to try things. I believe I checked as I hooked them up. I'll never forget how happy I was to see those lights come on. Outside and from behind the gauges. I used to slip out to the garage and turn the lights on at nighttime just to see my garage light up.
    Of course, those lights may have never lit up if it weren't for the help of the wonderful Texan on here~ Mr. Bill Hanlon!
    The only problem I had was when I tried turning on the dome light. The wire to it instantly fried!
    It was the old dome housing I am thinking had a problem. The slide switch?
    Anyway~ Here's to you getting that all taken care of so you can get back out on the road!

3. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks most of the extra have no labels. Denis

4. Zig

Zig Member

So ya done yet?

5. denisf

denisf Member

I installed choke and throttle cable yesterday. I need a new heater switch, which should come tomorrow. I want to spend a couple of hours reviewing the work, checking my punch list, and maybe some continuity checks before applying power. Today is motorcycle ride day with the wife. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday will be the hot test.

Any suggestions before applying power?

6. denisf

denisf Member

Also, cigarette lighter? Main element to power and outer shield wire to ground?

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

A short prayer to Thor? He is the god of thunder and therefore lightning which is just 12 volts on steroids. ;)

denisf likes this.
  8. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

When I rewired mine I tested each circuit as I completed it. Disconnected the battery each time I wired a new circuit. Made it easy to trace a problem .... but never ran into one. Other than the dome light. Had to scrape some paint off to make ground. Drove me nuts

denisf likes this.