rewire thoughts and challenges

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, May 24, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

I have begun the rewire project and it may be a record slow project. I am being methodical to a fault, I suspect. I am creating an AS IS wiring diagram. See attached. Each post it is a major electrical component. I will add wiring soon, I have a small page with segments of the wiring.

I am finding many dilemmas, like broken terminal boards, extra wires that go no where, old wires (cloth wrapped) that were cut and terminated, etc.

Current questions that need research include.

1. how to mount new terminal boards (I assume it is some kind of rivet?)

2. I bought the harness from our host, but it does not look like there is enough length in the wires for the lights, for example the run that goes in front of radiator to the other terminal board. Also length for the rear lights. I assume I will have to add new wire for that, maybe I am wrong. What gauge wire is used for the lighting circuits?

3. I bought an aftermarket directional kit, need to figure out best method to add that while I am rewiring.

4. Removing front lights and parking lights looks to be a challenge with 65 year old fasteners. Will need to be patient.

5. The main bundle that goes though the large grommet in the firewall is very fragile, so tracing each line in will take some patience.

Having never done this type project before creating the AS IS is giving me confidence. I once rewired a large harness in a submarine Weapons system, spending dozens of hours inside the machine. So not much difference , right!

Well off to play golf and then back in the garage to document whats behind the dash. I did take the advice to remove seat and I put a piece of plywood over seat frame and an old blanket for comfort.

I do appreciate everyone's help and advice. Enjoy your day. Denis

Attached Files: