Rocker arm repair - Nate got an answer?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Mar 9, 2016.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I have a set of worn 235 cu in rockers with wear marks/indentions in the ends where they contact the valve stems. Can I take a file and dress them down to remove the indentions? I want to rebuild this engine eventually but it's in pieces now so I'm cecking to see what parts are usable and which aren't. Any help is always appreciated.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'd use a grinding wheel .

I imagine there are still good used ones out there and strongly suggest getting a set , remember they're different and must be ever so carefully re assembled ~ the shop manual has very good exploded photos of which one goes where .

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

1951 GMC Maintenance Manual (not Chevy like Craig's) says "If rocker arm valve stem contact face is excessively worn, discard rocker arm. Grinding of rocker arm is not recommended. An excessive removal of metal will result in a loss of hardened surface." Of course when that was written you could walk into the local dealer and buy a whole set of rockers for $20 or so.

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I have a stack of complete rocker arm assemblies & individual rockers.
    Not sure if any of mine are any better than the ones you have.

Would need to see a close up picture of the wear you are describing to be able to tell if any of mine will improve your situation or not.

Attached Files:

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I was wondering about the hardened surface myself. I wasn't sure a file would do the trick. Now I know it's better to replace if possible. DZ I'll dig mine out in a couple of days and take a picture of the worst case for comparison. Thanks all.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Haven't used it for years but we have an old valve grinder in the storage shed (can't remember if it's the Sioux or Black and Decker dry grinder) that has a rocker tip refacing attachment. You pick the right size dowl, same size as the rocker shaft, drop the rocker on it and set the pivot at 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, etc. and it swings the rocker at the correct arc to reface it on the valve grinding wheel. Also have the reams and bushings to re-bush the shaft holes in the rockers. Don't know why I keep all this old stuff; just a natural born pack rat I guess.

7. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Nate, Wow that would be a neat tool to have. Probably not a lot of call for it's use these days but that's just the thing to have if you need it. Especially since they aren't selling new replacments anymore. Would sure save a lot of time looking around for good used ones.