Rust protection

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Zeitgeist57, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

Rust sucks!

Fortunately, mine doesn't have a lot, but NOW is definitely the time to coat the underbody and frame to prevent further damage.

Anyone use POR-15? Something else? C'mon..I need success stories here, guys! :) Please let me know of a great, easy-to-apply and very durable coating that protects against rust and stops rust from spreading. THANKS!

2. Old77

Old77 Member

I've actually heard that bed liner works well as an undercoating but I have not tried it yet. I did see it on "Trucks!" on SpikeTV, though, where the guy did it to the old Bronco, "Crazy Horse".

3. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

I saw that show, too. I am probably going to go with a Duraliner-type product from Dupli-Color, as I can get it readily available from NAPA locally. It rolls on nicely and should be pretty durable, while also being realtively easy to use and cheap to boot.

4. MarkyB

MarkyB Guest

I would suggest going to www.eastwoodco.com and order "Rust Encapsulator." It's cheaper than POR15, doesn't require any other "special" items. It also stops rust creep, where as POR15 and a parts store bed liner paint does not. You can spray it on or brush it on without brush lines. You can also paint over it without using special bonding agents. If you drive your vehicle everyday like I do, you would be better off in the long run with rust encapsulator. And no, I'm not affiliated with eastwood company.

5. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

spray desile fule i dont know if i spelled it right.

6. 84_SilveradoSS

84_SilveradoSS Member

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator is good stuff

7. JustAJimmyGirl

JustAJimmyGirl Member

>Rust sucks!
    >I totally agree! When I got my 1985 Jimmy, the cab top was badly rusted and the hood was loosing pieces of the once blue paint on a daily basis. I know that you wanted stories for the undercarriage but perhaps the product I used can be helpful as well.
    >I took all the paint off my hood, took it down to the metal and sanded it on my own. It was a project but one I call a Labor of Love since it was working my my "Beast". Primered the hood, noticed days later there were rust spots showing thru. Removed the primer, sanded again, re-primered it. Well they say three is a charm so on my third time of taking off all the primer and sanding back down to the metal only to have the unexpected happen...RAIN. Got up and started sanding again in the morning only this time I applied a product called "Klean Strip-Rust Converter". I can happily say, no more rust is coming thru after using that stuff.
    >Now I am just waiting for the nicer weather to come around and I am doing my cab top next, then trying to stop any on the side body and hopefully get the Beast in for a paint job.
    >I'll post pics one day soon. Hope this was at least helpful to someone.
    Tina
    "a day in the life of a Jimmy Girl is always a happy one!

8. scotty101

scotty101 Member

can the eastwood Rust Encapsulator be sprayed on through a paint gun? bc i am lookin to do my whole frame and the under body of my box and cab