Rusted block

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by The_51, Jan 27, 2006.

1. The_51

The_51 Member

Hi my name is Jacob Gilles im 18 and own a 51 5 window and a 54 which are both 1 tons. Recently the temp guage in my 51 has been acting funny and the coolant has been dissapearing, and upon inspected found a horizontal crack in the block below the intake and exhaust. It is about straigh with the drain plug for the antifreeze. also since this, the truck once warmed up and under a load starts running rough and missing. I was thinking i could just weld up the crack which i think is just rusted thin with some nickel rods. i pulled all the plugs and they are all brown and it does not smoke white when running so i dont think antifreeze is getting in but what would casue these problems and or any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Rusted Water Jacket

Jake , I have bad news for you ~ this is a common failure on older farm trucks that were run on water instead of coolant : the water jacket has rusted clear through and the block is junk .

The good news is : if you're a really good welder you just may be able to fix it but I'd not trust it for more than around the farm use forevermore .

Why not give it a whirl .

The other good news is : the Task Force guys are scrappng out good runing 6 cylinder trucks to make short lived hot rods out of them so the 235 engines go for under $200.00 fan to clutch even when in perfect condition...

Look in that section (TF) and the classifieds too and write to all the three year old ads for $500.00 + engines and guess what ? they're all still just sitting there , offer $125.00 _IF_ it turns and is complete .

Good luck hunting .

-Nate

3. The_51

The_51 Member

Nate thanks for the advice i think i will just begin my serch for a good 235 for my truck.
    jake

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Cheap 235's

Go look in the Task Force section ~ there's bunches of them almost FREE .

Up to 1962 model year used the 235 engine...

BIG trucks too ~

Good luck hunting .

-Nate