rusty rockers

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ron65, Jun 17, 2002.

1. ron65

ron65 Member

my rocker panels are a little rusty and i would like to learn how to do my own body work.is it just cut and weld or are there different way of approch.

2. bk65

bk65 Member

Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing I would recommend is to contact the fine folks at Chevy Duty and get a Factory Assembly Manual. It's got great info such as where all the spots welds are on your rockers to everything else you can think of.

My rockers came off easy (sometimes rust is your friend) I just drilled out the spot welds and they came right off. The full replacement outer rocker panels would have welded right back on but I had mucho rust and had to replace sections of the floor, inner rocker panels, and cab supports. The worst part was where the front of the rockers welded onto the cab (just under the bottom door hinge). If the piece they weld to is shot there's no replacement, you'll have to fabricate the pieces. I've been using a small Mig welder and am happy with the results. My welding skills aren't the greatest but my grinder evens things out.

A tip about replacement panels. So far the only piece that has been an exact replacement has been the full outer rocker panel and the cab supports. The front floor panel is close but you'll have to trim it to fit. The rear floor panel, inner rocker, and kick panels are not available but are available for the 67-72 which at least are close. All the companies I've dealt with (including our fine host) list several body panels as 60-66 but are actually 67-72 and unfortunately, that's all that's out there. But they are close and with a little work should do the job for ya. Also, expect to do a little rework on panels, they're bound to get a few scratches and dings by the time they come from the factory (often overseas) and get to your door. Every now and then you'll get lucky; I ordered a bed panel from Chevy Duty and it was perfect.

Have Fun!

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I think Custom Classic Trucks magazine just did a step by step article, with pictures, on rocker replacement.