S10 ZR2 chassis

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ron garver, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Ron garver

Ron garver Member

Has anybody used an S10 ZR2 4x4 chassis under 47-54 chevy truck?

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Hello Ron, welcome aboard.
    Typically, an S10 Standard Cab, 2WD Long Bed frame is used in an "S10 conversion", as the wheelbase is nearly identical (within 0.2") to that of a half-ton (3100 Series) AD pickup. If the ZR2 option was available in a Standard Cab, Long bed configuration, it may be possible to install AD sheetmetal on it. Drivetrain position may be an issue, and if moved would require (as a minimum) new driveshafts.

Good Luck! Post pictures if you have them.
    Mike

vwnate1 and booger like this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Subscribed to learn about the conversion .

4. coilover

coilover Member

S10 frame is a box frame to rear of cab and "C" channel from cab to rear of frame. VERY easy to lengthen or shorten "C" channel frame rails. Be sure to use boxing plates over the splice that are the near same thickness as the frame and TAPER the ends of the boxing plates. A rigid boxing plate with square ends will provide a stress crack area. We have several S10 donors to get frame extension pieces from and the non standard cab long bed ones are easy to find. Had about a dozen S10's when the frame swap craze died down so we "Gussied" one up and sold it in a week. Only had a 435hp LS so wasn't a real hot rod.

IMG_4576.JPG IMG_4575.JPG

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? 'only' 435 horsepower Evan ? #tongue# .

From the side it looks like any old fleet truck ~ were I into sleepers I'd paint it yellow and slap a C.O.L.A. sticker on the door and go hunting #biggrin# .

6. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

I have a 2wd reg cab longbed frame under mine. If memory serves me correctly, the zr2 has longer control arms and slightly wider track width up front witch may fill out the fenders better than the 2wd does.