saginaw verses metric p/s pumps

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vincent, Sep 17, 2006.

1. vincent

vincent Member

Hello all,

I have a 85 GMC 3/4 I am transplanting a 64 327. the problem is mounting the p/s pump on the early sb. I could get a saginaw and mount is easier than the metric. can i use a saginaw power steering pump on a metric power steering gearbox? or do i have to use the metric pump? I would rather not change the whole steering gear. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    V

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Ok the answer is yes you can get "line" made up @ a hydraulic shop give them
    the brake line tube end that fits high pressure side at the pump. Them brake line to fit the high pressure side box . Make the right bends that are needed
    for each one, after the bends there should be a straight piece about 5 to 6
    inches. So they can put hydraulic ends on with hydraulic hose in the middle.
    measure the line take in to account that the hydraulic ends are about 3 to 4
    inches long. So you want the line to be as close to the same lenth but beable
    to bend smoothly (not kink) and not be to close the moving parts or hot parts. The low pressure you can make your self, the low pressure is got hose and climps with the right ends you will need.( mectric gear, box SAE )

G M dealer sell's a little brass cylinder that goes in the end of the brake line to mate the reg line fit the the mectric side.
    hope this helps.:)