Seals for Parking Break installation?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Aug 13, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Okay this is related to an earlier post about my parking brake not binding.
    I am now wondering if it has to do with the seals.

does any one have a picture (or can describe) how the seals should be installed ? This would be for the two rubber/felt pads and leather strip. I installed the seals at the very end of the rod on the engine side of the firewall. However wondering if these items should be installed within the little pocket of the parking brake assembly (little door or pocket where the rod slides through). Perhaps if the seals are located just behind the spring it will apply more pressure to the binding rod???

I installed it exactly how i think the manual shows it but obviously something is wrong since the brake will not engage..
    UPDATE:
    Well I went back to the drawing board.. Noticed on the manual that there was a washer between the Spring and Toe Board, so I dissembled everything again and mounted the hardware as follows:

Place a 1/4" thick Washer that fits at Toe board where binding rod goes through.
    This seems to give just enough for the spring to rest on and provide more push back on the release rod,

2,Place spring over washer. Tricky part is to place the Release rod over the Spring and then insert ubolt. Have someone help you thread the nut on the other side of the fire wall.

3. Insert Leater strip (I think it is called a rod guide) in the pocket of the main parking break assembly (found on engine side)

4. Insert Biding Rod and place the rubber felt pads and insert cotter pin. Push rod back through firewall and go back into cab.

5. In cab, mount Binding rod to Push pedal.

6. Connect release rod.

and then when I push the pedal it seems to bind, and engage the brakes. HOWEVER, if you rock the truck back and forth you can disengage the parking brake.. Sooooooo progress??

James

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018