Seat Conversion for 66 c10

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Brad5151, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Brad5151

Brad5151 Member

I purchased a 60/40 seat out of a 93 chevy. Short term I want to put the seat in now. I will eventually move the fuel tank to the rear. My question is, how much am I gaining by taking the tank out? Is it worth even putting the new seat in with the fuel tank in the cab? I'm 6'3". Thanks for the help.

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

A lot depends on how thick the seat back rest is, with the tank out I only gained two inches at the base of the seat, with the back rest straight up ...`05 silverado buckets....I`m only 5`8`` so no issues....

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

In regards to leg room you gain nearly nothing by removing the gas tank from the cab. That's because, as Rich eluded to, the seat back needs to recline to be comfortable. Therefore the top of the seat will hit the back of the cab before it hits the gas tank. GM did their homework when they designed the seat and the back of the cab to ensure the most leg room available.

You do gain valuable in cab storage space by removing the tank though. I removed mine and am glad I did.

I hope that helps.

John

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Leg Room

John Wrote :

"GM did their homework when they designed the seat and the back of the cab to ensure the most leg room available."

THIS ! .

Of course , although I'm 6' tall (lost 1" over the years) my inseam is only 3" so I fit almost anything easily ;) .

Some of us older guys have a bit of , uh " girth " that rubs the steering wheel
    so that's always a concern .

5. Brad5151

Brad5151 Member

All good information. Think I'm going to go ahead and mount it with the tank in for now. When I get to my full restoration I will pull the tank out. Thanks again.