seat swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by jonathan_chevy, Mar 9, 2006.

1. jonathan_chevy

jonathan_chevy Member

hi everone i have a 86 chevy 4x4 im reworking and has any one put in a set of 2002 seats in a 86 or well thay even fit i like the seat belt in the seat part

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

For a pickup, you might want to look into getting bucket seat brackets from a Burb or crew cab. Not sure if they will just bolt to the '02 seats or not, may require some fabrication. If it looks like you can go this route, make sure to get the tabs for the front of the inner brackets:http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/factory_buckets.htm

3. jonathan_chevy

jonathan_chevy Member

the seats are out of a 2002 chevy truck im a machinest so the fab work i can do but is there room for the 2002 seats in my 86 chevy truck and they are 60/40 seats thanks

4. Old77

Old77 Member

i have a 1977 Chevy truck which has the same floor board as yours and i put seats out of a 2002 Silverado in it. They will fit but you have to do a lot of modifying to the floors to get it to fit. They fit perfectly as far as the cab width but where the problem comes into play are the humps on the floor to take into account for the gas tanks and things like that. There are several things we had to do to get this to work in my truck. First of all, we had to relocate the gas tank so that it was not partially under the cab. It is not residing in the rear of the truck under the bed kinda like where it would be in a blazer or a suburban. In fact, the tank is out of a blazer. Then, you have to do a lot of measuring and double measuring to cut where it needs to be cut and then fabricate up your own pieces of metal to put in. So it's very extensive. I hope that this helps a little bit. Once we got it all done, it was well worth it but just prepare yourself!!:) Also, it's not one of those jobs that you can get in the middle of and then decide not to do it because the truck will be worthless with holes in the floor once you're in the middle of it. So make sure it's what you want to do before you start cutting!

5. Ebon Hawk

Ebon Hawk Member

I put a set of 2002 GMC seats in my 1963 C-10 recently, and would just like to take the time to say, they WILL fit easily into any 1960-current GM truck. The only thing you may have to do is drill new holes in the floorboards and install new bolts. These are VERY comfortable seats, and have the added bonus of integrated seatbelts.

Since you are a machinist, you should have no problem at all with this swap. Good luck!

6. jonathan_chevy

jonathan_chevy Member

thanks and does your truck have the humps for the gas tanks in it and thanks

7. Old77

Old77 Member

To say that they fit "easily" into any 73-87 GM truck is very misleading. They will fit but require fairly extensive modification to the floor under the seats to take out the humps where the gas tank(s) are supposed to be, relocation of the gas tank(s) and a few other odds and ends. It's DEFINITELY not just a matter of drilling a new set of holes. It is that way for 72 and older GM trucks as they have completely flat floors but not for the 73-87 trucks because, as you know, GM decided to mount these gas tanks to where part of the tank ended up under the cab itself. If you'd like, I've got many pictures detailing the work that was involved in it to kind of show you what we did. To someone that can do metal work, it'll probably be a fairly straight forward task but please don't think you can just drill new holes and be fine. It is definitely worth the work that it takes to get them in there, though. It looks awesome and they are very comfortable! :) Just email me if you want some pictures.