Seating

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by keithh573, Jan 5, 2014.

1. keithh573

keithh573 Member

Hello
    I am restoring a 55 2nd series chevy truck and trying to find a 60/40 electric bench seat that would work. I would love any suggestions from everyone. PLEASE HELP.:)

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Up Grade Seats

The floors are nearly flat in GM trucks so that helps .

Take your tape measure and measure the side to side clearance with the doors closed then go to the junkyard and begin measuring seats .

Be creative & open minded ~ once you find a good seat you can have it trimmed to suit , this is the easy part .

Relocating the fuel tank under the bed not only makes your rig 1,000 times safer , it gives you more room to set the seat back a few inches .

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

When I bought my truck it had a '90 Chevy bench seat. It's not a 60/40 though. Does have a nifty arm rest.

[​IMG]

4. keithh573

keithh573 Member

thanks for the suggestions. I did measure tonight and I have about 64 inches to play with. Also funny you mentioned about the tank because I just finished moving it. I will try to attach pics.

Attached Files:

• Tank.jpg
      Tank.jpg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
  5. steve

steve Member

Seats

Seats with integrated seatbelts are great, I did stock, with belts.

Attached Files:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Safety !

Seat Belts attached to the seat in a Vintage Rig is asking for crippling injuries .

The seat must be very well attached to the floor and the floor isn't designed to hold your inertia plus the seats .

7. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

You Definitely want to be Safe and put seat belts in along with your new Seat!
    I am going with the three point system also like Steve has pictured!

Look up Bill Hanlons Wreck he had with his GMC,those pictures right there will make you glad you have Seatbelts!!!!
    Allen

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Mine were 3 point belts attached at the rear of the vertical part of the step, out near the center of the cab floor and to a 1.5" x 12" strap that I fished up into the area between the back window and the rear of the door frame and welded in place. The first two attach points were backed with a 4"x4" washer welded to the cab sheet metal. Here are the pictures that Allen referred to: Why you need seatbelts.

9. keithh573

keithh573 Member

Holy cow.
    I sure hope you was ok. Looks like it was a beautiful truck before that day. I am planning on seat belt rig, I am still doing bodywork on cab at this time but that is why I am trying to figure out seat now so I can go ahead and weld in mounts etc for seat belts now.