Shift lever very hard to move???

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by kbyounger, May 2, 2008.

1. kbyounger

kbyounger Member

I put a 700r4 in my vette, behind a 350. When installing a B&M shifter, I discovered that the shift lever on the tranny is very hard to move. The new shifter will not move the lever from park and such... Its hard to move by hand also. I know there is nothing wrong with the shifter. So, is there something wrong with the tranny? I've connected the tv cable, made sure the tranny is full of fluid. Still hard to move lever. Help? kip

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Let me guess.... This was NOT a rebuilt trans was it ?

There is a LOT that can go wrong with these overdrive transmissions if not set up properly. The symptom you describe really sounds like the shifter arm is bent, not installed properly, or the B&M shifter is binding somewhere.

But that may be the least of your worries if the TV cable was not setup properly. Go to Http://www.700r4.com, read ( and I mean READ ) their "TV Cable 101" articles. Then,,, READ it again !!!

If the TV cable is not set up as described the trans will burn itself up in a VERY short period of time. ( like in miles, not days !)

Val