Shock absorber anchors

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by rxpx40, Dec 31, 2010.

1. rxpx40

rxpx40 Member

Shocks are shot, need to replace, old set were hung in place with care using baling wire. Not very classy. The manual claims the front shocks are replaced along with the shock anchor pins. As in- 'they come as a unit'.
    Looking through the classic parts catalog, I see the rear shock (item 74-626) shows an anchor for the bottom of the shock, but the hardware in the picture seems to have a couple extra parts per shock.
    :confused:
    The 'Shock mounting kit AK-32' shows the large mount pins for the top of the rear shocks. This isn't helping me on the front.

Got any ideas?
    Chris

2. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

not familiar with the kit our host sells.I bought my shock mount kits from napa and it was a universial kit and only had a couple of spacers left over.
    Bobby

3. mikebte

mikebte Member

Mine may have been replaced before I did them but mine had bolts holding them in place. No pins. Just get your shocks and find some bolts that fit good and that also fit your shock mount. That what I did. Got my shocks at Autozone.

4. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

you must put sleeves or metal bushings on the bolts to cover the threads otherwise the threads will wearout the rubber bushing of the shocks.In my opinion the shock mounting kits are inexpensive and the only was to go.The time and effort i put into restoring my truck i wouldn't have done it any other way.this was the only picture i had during the build of the front shock mounts.
    Bobby

Attached Files:

5. rxpx40

rxpx40 Member

A little more investigative work turned up a set of shock anchor bolts through another supplier. $9/each and I need 6, so this looks like the route I will take.
    Thanks for the replies!
    Chris