short pump or long pump?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by twodogbiteme, Jul 16, 2009.

1. twodogbiteme

twodogbiteme Member

im putting a crate 350 into my 69. the engine that came out had a short water pump. i would like to use a long water pump. can i buy new pulleys and just use the existing stock brackets and still acheive proper belt alignment? please help...

2. 2tons of fun

2tons of fun Member

nope, you will need to get lwp brackets.

you didnt say if you were reusing you original heads or if you were buying a newer long block but to use the lwp you will need at least one acc hole in each head.

3. twodogbiteme

twodogbiteme Member

sorry, its a small block chevy 350 with vortec heads. does anyone know where i can get brackets for a long water pump. or would it be easier to convert to a serpentine setup?

4. drabo

drabo Member

With vortec heads your choices are too huge to list. You can stick with the SWP set-up and reuse the old brackets. You can do the LWP and get LWP brackets almost anywhere. One option is to get a used serpintene set-up from any SBC or 4.3V6 from the mid to late 90's. You can always find it on EBay. GMPP sells a new kit with or w/o a/c or power steering. If your are going for the total wow factor check out Zoops. Just remember that a serpitene set up uses a reverse rotation water pump. It won't work correctly with out it. The hot and cold water will be on the wrong sides of the thermostat and it won't open.

https://store.gmperformanceparts.co...d=11&redir=true&category=Accessory Drive Kits

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009