six to five lug disc brake conversi

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 48ER, Jul 29, 2005.

1. 48ER

48ER Member

48ER
    I was wondering, a classic truck magazine has a six to five disc brake conversion kit; it showed the calipers,hoses,rotors,bearings,and brackets. My question is although it's not stated, it's coming across as a bolt on deal; can those set ups be added to my truck or is this one of those "by the way, we also sell the spindles you will need for this to work." deals. I have all that stuff from an 83 chevy. so couldn't I just put that on?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: six to five lug disc brake conv

Why not call them and ask ? .

I know of a few junkyard 5 lug disc brake conversions that used the original spindles , IIRC you need to make up a simple caliper mounting bracket out of 1/4" steel plate .

Remember too you'll need to swap the rear end or find some new axle shafts.....

-Nate

3. 48ER

48ER Member

48ER
    Hey thanks for the response Nate;
    sometimes things are so obvious they're not obvious. I didn't call, but I went on line to check out their catalog and according to them it is a bolt on deal to stock spindles. You guys help keep the grey matter from going to mush sooner than it has to.:D

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

48ER, I installed 5 lug disc brakes on my 50 1/2 ton. There are a couple of kits out there, each slightly different, but very similiar overall. While they are technically a bolt on, there is a little work involved. I ended up using the bracket kit from Classic Performance. Chevy Duty also sells one. It uses early 70's camaro discs, and calipers. If you know someone who can get parts cheap, you can save a few bucks. You will need to get new brake hoses, the steering stops don't fit without mods, and you will need a different master cylinder. If I was to do mine again, I think I might buy the big master kit that comes with everything. Overall I am very happy with the results, and would recommend the upgrade if it is a daily driver in any kind of traffic.

P.S. On mine I went with the 8 inch under floor power booster. It is a little sensitive. I have seen 7 inch, and am considering switching to one.

Let me know if you have any questions.....Mike