sm block to big block

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by bowtie6872, Sep 18, 2004.

1. bowtie6872

bowtie6872 Guest

hello y'all
    I have a 71 c-10 2 wheel drive lond box that is powered by a smog 350 with a 2 bl.carb. "can ya feel the power"
    also have a new 454ho g.m. crate motor..
    now in a chevelle u'd just unbolt the small 350 and bolt in the 454 (frame mount wise [yes i know the a-body motor frame mounts are different small block and big block] but it bolts in!!!!)
    can I just unbolt the 350 from the motor mount(replace with new while motors out) and then bolt in the big block to motor mounts(rubber)on the frame..
    the reason i'm askin is there is a part listed(big block frame mount) in catalogs(not the motor (rubber)mount)
    if they swap in a chevelle(a-body)same mounts why not in the truck..
    are the frame mounts listed in the catalogs for big block, there so the engine clears everything or??????
    and if so what are the g.m. part #
    and are they the same as a 82 pickup...
    have framemounts from a 82 dually454...
    please help all the parts are almost here..
    headers/carb/ass.brackets/ect...:9

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO,

I'LL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS AS BEST AS I CAN.
    YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE SWAP INTO AND A-BODY.
    HOWEVER IN THE PICKUP, THE FRAME MOUNTS FOR THE SMALLBLOCK DO NOT ALLOW ENOUGH CLEARANCE FOR A BIGBLOCK.
    YES THE MOTOR MOUNTS ARE IN THE SAME LOCATION ON BOTH ENGINES, BUT THE SMALL BLOCK IS MUCH SHALLOWER AND NARROWER AT THE TOP, THIS IS OBVIOUS.
    TO FIX THIS PROBLEM GM DESIGNED THE FRAME MOUNTS FOR THE BIGBLOCK TO RAISE IT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. ALLOWING ENOUGH CLEARANCE TO DO THE EXHAUST, CLEAR THE PAN AND EASIER ACCESS THE STARTER,ETC...
    SORRY, THEY ARE FOR THIS STYLE/YEAR RANGE FRAME ONLY, 67-72.
    THE POWER STEERING PUMP IS UNIQUE ALSO, IT HAS A REMOTE RES. THAT MOUNTS NEXT TO THE WINDSHIELD WASHER BOTTLE. A FEW OTHER THINGS ALSO ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE 82 YOU MENTIONED AS FAR AS BRACKETS AND SUCH.
    NOW, EVEN THOUGH THE FRAME MOUNTS ARE DIFFERENT, THERE ARE ALWAYS WAYS AROUND THINGS. NEVER SAY NEVER.
    HAVE FUN!

GOOD THINGS,

BRANT