Smooth Dash

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Jun 28, 2010.

1. babailey

babailey Member

OK, I am looking for opinions here. I need to fix my dash.

I have the following issues:

1). The ignition hole is no longer needed.
    2). The Choke cable was removed and that now contains a gauge which I will soon no longer need. Unfortunately the original hole has been enlarged.
    3). The cigar lighter was removed and that now contains another gauge which I will soon no longer need. Unfortunately the original hole has been enlarged. I would like to put a lighter back there so I can run my GPS when needed.
    4). The ash tray is not needed.
    5). The heater controls do not work and are not needed, I will eventually add a Vintage AC/Heat unit with controls.
    6). The floor vent cables have been removed but I would like to put them back somewhere. I thought this might be a good use for the original Choke and Throttle cable holes.

So, with all of that said, should I just smooth the whole dash and then punch a few holes for lights and wipers, etc? Or, should I put the dash back to factory and just re-purpose the holes I no longer need?

What do you think?

2. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I would maintain the stock dash configuration and re-purpose the holes.I made false knobs to replace the choke,throttle and cigar lighter.keeping the ash tray. Going to put the push to start button in there.Heater controls are from OldAir (good customer service on the install of the a/c)Check with our host for the replacement panel for the dash.If they do'nt the Truck Shop has them in the O.C..
    I've attached a few pics of my dash from 4 weeks ago.Had to stop due too shoulder replacement surgery.4 more weeks and i may get to start working on it again.
    I can send you my phone number if you need more help.
    Good luck
    Bobby

Attached Files:

3. willie1957

willie1957 Member

Count this as a second vote for original dash configuration then use holes as needed. Although I don't know how you fix the choke cable hole unless from a donor.

Good luck.

4. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

i have access to a machine shop and made new knobs out of aluminum that will cover the dash holes without adding washers. i'll take some pictures of the knobs tommorrow. and maybe have the neighbor bolt one in place for picture.
    Bobby

5. babailey

babailey Member

Thanks for the pictures Bobby57. Do you have an original heater control controlling your new Heat/AC unit?

6. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

The heater control I have is from Old Air Inc.It was part of there kit

7. coilover

coilover Member

I did a 57 Cameo that I think the dash was used to test drills, hole saws, and maybe a hammer and chisel. The last owner cut the whole center section out and welded in a piece of Ford dash so the Ford radio would fit. I ended up cutting out the center of a dash out that was in a rolled over 2 ton grain truck. After careful measuring and trimming I welded it to the same size hole I cut out of the Cameo. Being curved there was little warpage and required very little filler after grinding the welds. It was not much problem and I'd do it again if called for. There is a channel brace that runs across the bottom dash lip that required a bit of contortion to weld but not that bad. Pics show center welded back in and finished truck.

Attached Files:

8. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Looks like the dash was just the least of your problems, but the truck turned out very nice....Big Tim :cool:

9. steve

steve Member

Original Look works for Me

However, I had to re-weld the radio patch section, where the previous owner must have installed an eight track player the size of a small toaster, or maybe it was a toaster? But remember whatever works for your taste. :)

10. babailey

babailey Member

I replaced the gauge cluster this weekend. The new cluster looks and works great and all the gauges are nicely tucked back into the original gauge "V".

So, now I have two holes of varying size cut in my dash and no need for them. I have a replacement center section. I hate cutting the old out and putting the new one in but I think it is time I sucked it up and began working on this truck in earnest. The down side to putting in the new piece is that I think I want to cut holes in it to house AC vents. Unfortunately, I can not use the previously cut gauge holes (they are not properly centered).

11. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

if thats what you want to do. patch the holes with a little sheet metal, cut your new a/c vent holes. a little bondo and paint and your good to go.
    i'd like to see before pics and the finished dash. i like your idea.
    bobby

12. coilover

coilover Member

On modified dashes I like to use an under dash unit that is mounted up in the dash. Advantages are it takes much simpler plumbing, wiring, and since it's self contained there are no cables/solenoids/switches, etc. It blows cold instantly and is colder than any system the air has to flow through ducts. Disadvantage is usually the glove box is lost but a pocket in the door upholstery will hold insurance or any other required papers. When the vents are aimed right the people in the BACK seat will complain about being too cold. Here is a 39 Ford and a 30 Plymouth with this set up.

Attached Files:

13. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Here's the dash in my "54" and I didn't lose the glove box...,,Big Tim :cool: tims pics 030.jpg

tims pics 031.jpg

14. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Hey Tim, I like your console.Is it still a work in progress ? Would like see more pictures of it .I like your Work. I'm thinking of doing the something simular to my 57'.
    Bobby

15. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Thanks Bobby,
    Unfortunately it's still a work in progress and that's the most updated pix I have. I designed it after the Chevy SSR. The seats are out of an 80 Vette. Its all wood. There was a lot of Hrs. soaking the wood in the bathtub to get it to bend. It will be upholstered with ball milled aluminum on top. I hope to get back on it one day soon, cause every time I look at it my jeans get wet.:D....Big Tim :cool: