Speedo question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

I have a rebuilt speedo guage cluster, a new steel speedo cable, a Patrick's 3.55 :1 rear end with the speedo adapter at the standard 3 on the tree transmission, but I read 45 mph when I'm travelling with the flow of hwy traffic at 60 mph. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get a more accurate reading? I have to pass thru a 20 mph school zone on the way to work and need to be more accurate.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

GPS stuck to the windsheild.

3. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

3 to 4 ratio?

Larry,

Drive @ 15mph through the school zone!

Seriously, sounds like your adapter isn't doing what it is supposed to. Mine is the same setup without the adapter but reads more at a 4:5 ratio...reads about 20 when doing 25.

Bob

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Need more information. What does the speedo read when you are traveling 40 MPH? If it reads 30 MPH then the problem is linear and most likely could be fixed with the proper speedo adapter. If it is reading 25 MPH (ie no matter what speed you are going, the speedo is always 15 MPH slow) the problem is in the speedometer itself.

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Speedometer accuracy also depends on what size tires you are running. Are you running 16" or 15" tires? Also the aspect of the tires makes a difference.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Accuracy

Couple ways to go here :

Take it (the whole truck) to a Speedo Shop and pay them about $100 .

Or , talk to Joe (DZT) about the number of teeth you count on the speedo drive geat after you remove it fom the tranny ~ he'll have a box full of different tooth count ones or can find what you need from a spare tranny (he has loads of them) .

Or , go find the two speed speedo gearbox off any old brand truck with a two speed rear end , it'll attach to the back of the speedo then the speedo cable attaches to it , some shift via vacuum . others shift via a cable , no matter , just try it in both ratios and when it's more accurate , leave it there .

Or , shoot Even anE-Mail , he'll have some trick up his sleeve that'll work .

I hope this helps , I suppose bits of masking tape on the speedo glass are out of the question ? .

7. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Tires are 215/85R16.
    It's definately a ratio, so Bob wins 15mph on my speedo=20mph real speed.
    I guess I was just hoping to not have to do the math...

8. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Problem solved

That's good Nate...some of that bright green stuff should work well.

9. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    From your thread, I'm not sure if you bought Patrick's Speedo gear change with your Package. You can send him your cable to tranny gear and he will change it for you. There's like a one tooth difference in the gear.

Flashlight

10. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Driven gear?

Looked on Patrick's site and what I see is an adapter and then a gear set. I'm assuming Larry is using the adapter. Are you saying Patrick offers a change in the driven gear (cable to tranny gear) that will work without changing the drive gear?

Thanks,
    Bob

11. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Hey Bob, Yes If you change the rear-end gears you have to change the Speedo gear too. Patrick sells the speedo gear for the Saginaw or Stock tranny. Its for 3:38 or 3:55 rear-ends. Just screw it in to the tranny and hook-up your cable and you are good to go! Its about the size of a spark-plug. $49-59 page 30, 08-09 Catalog

Flashlight

12. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Hmmm...that sure sounds right. Don't understand what the adapter thing is that Larry has though.

Have to give Patrick's a call and maybe get these units reading accurately.

Thanks lots!
    Bob

13. ccharr

ccharr Member

Russ,
    What GPS unit do you use?

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nuvi from Garmin. It likes to send me down bizzarre dirt roads from time to time, but gets me there reguardless!

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Russ, my speedometer is about 20 miles off depending on which unit I have in the truck. If I use the one it can with it is about 15 mph slow if I use the one I got out of a 52 is is about 12 and if I use the china clipper one it veries between 20 to 25 mph depending on the speed I'm traveling.
    So a GPS for now will do me for those times in town and on the open road.

On the open road if I'm doing about 75 the speedo reads about 52, 65 is about 49 on the speedo. Right now the 52 speedometer is in it.
    Again Thanks.