Speedometer

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by raven316, Mar 19, 2002.

1. raven316

raven316 Member

I found a instrument cluster for my 66 Fleetside and I need some advice. I've had speedometer problems for a while. When I replaced the tranny I got a new cable from Chevy Duty. When I took the cluster out the tip of the cable was broken. I kept the old cable and it seem to turn ok. My question is this, the speedometer I took out spins very easily and the dial sort of bounces (that's actually what it did while installed until it totally died). The replacement speedo unit gives a good bit of resistance when I turn it. I assume the one with the resistance is more likely to be good?

2. bk65

bk65 Member

I had the same problem with my 65. It turned out that the pointer had lost the counter balance weight. It's on the very bottom of the pointer (the part you don't see when it's installed.)You might compare the two pointers and see if that was the problem. I took a needle from another speedo (and the little metal "dish" it was attached to) and put it on my speedo unit. It was turning with a little resistance but I fixed that with some oil. I put a little bit of 3-in-1 oil on the main drive housing (where the cable goes in) but be sure to only oil around the edge of the drive so it can seep in. Also, try and keep the oil off the odometer gears and wheels.

Actually, I tried the oil first, then when the needle still bounced, I noticed the counter weight was missing when I compared it to another speedo I had. I would have used the other speedo but the odometer gears were broken.

Your new speedo may just need the oil. But when you spin it you shouldn't hear any metal to metal contact. If the new speedo has been treated poorly, the small "dish" the needle goes on might be damaged. They can't take much abuse.

Good luck

Good luck, I hope this helps.