starter prob 74

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by baad, May 21, 2009.

1. baad

baad Member

my starter when out on my 74 so i ran to auto zone and got a new 1 but now it got a hard start like the timing is off got my timing light and time is good but new starter came with shim never had this prob with a starter change any 1 know how to fix this

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

Baad,
    did Auto Zone test your old starter or just sell you a new one? The shim is to get the correct gear fitment between the starter and flexplate/ flywheel and is not always needed.

3. baad

baad Member

yes they tested it a it was dead

4. baad

baad Member

hay e1 got a ? my 74 has a 350/350 with a rear end out of a 79 now the ? is my 73 has less power with the same engine and Tran i think i know the Tran is the same and i keep buying 350 parts 4 it the whole top in i just put on was 4 a 350 could it be a 305 ?

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

It could be 305, 350, just from looking at it in a motor bay you can,t tell them apart. You will have to run the numbers on the back left side as it sit's in the truck( driver side back) that will tell you if the block is a 305 or a 350 casting.

http://www.mortec.com/location.htm

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

hope this helps id your motor

6. David Hall

David Hall Member

The 305 came along around 1975. Most of the engine parts on the top are the same as the 350.

Same:
    Air cleaner
    carb
    thermostat
    water neck
    intake manifold
    exhaust manifold
    valve covers
    distributor
    timing chain/ cover
    oil pan
    oil pump

Different:
    305 heads/ max valve without mach work: 1.84"
    1.94" and up will hit block
    camshaft grind
    piston diameter
    rod thickness
    crankshaft
    block
    bore diameter
    flexplate/ flywheel
    starter bolt pattern
    harmonic balancer

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  7. baad

baad Member

few people tell me look at the timing gear and see where it at because i cant find the numbers on it :confused: they are in different place the 1 on my 74 i have to look throw the water pump the 1 on the 73 is in view of the drive side fist 1 is 73 and i know i need a water pump :p the second 1 is my 74 it hard to see but i could not get a good zoom pic bit it on the back side of pump

funny thing is when i bought this truck guy said it was a 327 but i know better i hope and far as i know 327 parts r different but i guess that what i get 4 buying with out look at it first

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. David Hall

David Hall Member

The most accurate place to find engine size is behind the drivers head, on the block, where the transmission bolts up.

The number on the back of my block is 14094766, looking at the following link, it's a 305, made from 88-94. The engine is suppose to be 1986. But someone else has been into this engine before me. May not be the original engine to the truck.

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

Another location would be on the front passenger side of the block deck. This location has more info, like engine serial #, vehicle engine went into and assembly plant.

Attached Files:

9. BuckingBullman

BuckingBullman Member

305 cylinder heads also are in lightened in the lower bolt holes thats an easy way to tell if you have a 305 or 350 since 350s didnt have lightened cyl heads

10. baad

baad Member

well looks like i got some work ahead of me finding thos numbers lol :rolleyes:but then ill know what it is the fun part is finding them this was an old school truck and a lot has been chandge out on it ;)

11. baad

baad Member

:mad:well I've tried every thing i know of with this starter and still a hard start this truck has a 350 pair and that dam new starter is what is doing it stole buddy stater off his vett and no hard start 4 now hes is letting me use it but that only till this weekend so i got to figure this out any 1 got any ideas :mad:

12. David Hall

David Hall Member

Make sure the starter and block are free from paint and grime where the starter bolts up. There can be nothing breaking the ground. Make sure your engine has a ground between the engine and the firewall and the ground from the battery to the engine is clean also. If the starter from the vette works and your doesn't work very well, take it back and exchange it.

13. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Make sure good ground from the frame to the body too. Check wire make sure it's clean where it hooks up.
    VERY GOOD WORDS.
    [/QUOTE]If the starter from the vette works and your doesn't work very well, take it back and exchange it. [/QUOTE] This might be a good idea see it it was a bad starter.

14. baad

baad Member

OK i returned the starter and got a new 1 also why i was there i got replacement wire to battery and cleaned all the wires that connect to starter still the same thing any new ideas

15. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

A Lot Of the Rebuilt Starters Have the Old Used Starter Heads on Them ( Aluminum on Most ) Sometimes the Bolt Holes Are Wollered out a Bit. Allways Buy new Starter Bolts When Installing a Rebuilt .

It Will Make It fit Much Better Because the Old Bolts Most Likelly Have The Swedges Wore off of Them. I Have NEVER Used a Shim on Any Chevy Small Block to Correct a Problem. Only On the Other GM models or Big Blocks .

The Other Posability is That Your Flywheel Might Have been Replaced with a Aftermaket Flywheel instead of GM. & That can Caues the Same Problem. But allmost Imposable to tell the Difference Without Taking it out. I Doubt this Helps Any . Just What I,ve found out & I,ve installed 100,s of chevy starters . Found Its Best to Buy Delco Starters NEW with new bolts & GM Flywheel Plates . Best of Luck . Bob

16. baad

baad Member

i never buy use or rebuild i always buy new been workin on this prob all morning getting to be a pain but i got it to start clean 2 time thin the starter jammed on flywheel on the 3rd try i lossen the starter and it let go the starter wants to shift over evey time i tightin down on it i tryed the shims but they went back to the hard start again

dam i know better than buy from auto zone

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  17. baad

baad Member

OK guy o got the starter to work wright but now it works right the ignition don't it start but will not turn off had to use the old fashioned Chevy kill switch any idea why that would happen :mad:

18. baad

baad Member

OK guy o got the starter to work wright but now it works right the ignition don't it start but will not turn off had to use the old fashioned Chevy kill switch any idea why that would happen :mad:

19. David Hall

David Hall Member

Baad,
    you have too many wrong things going on here, somethings don't sound right.

The vette starter worked, started and shut off fine. (right)
    The new starters are dragging and now you have to wire in a kill switch??
    Put the vette starter back on and see what happens.

Are you trying to put a 305 starter on a 350 or vise versa. The starter shouldn't kick side ways when attempting to engage it. The wire that goes to the (S) switch post on the solenoid should be purple.

20. baad

baad Member

no my 74 has a 350/350 daily driver

my 73 has 305/350 this is the 1 I'm rebuilding

tried the vett starter still no kill on the ignition just start buddy put a brace on the back of the starter to keep it from shifting an that is how we got it to work right he owns a 1970 and that how the shop fix his starter prob

btw lol not wired kill switch just messing up my breaks high rpm then break hard kill any old chevy in a pinch

Last edited: May 30, 2009