Starter trouble

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Elky67, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Sad thing happened yesterday, wanted to take the truck for a family ride and
    enjoy the beautiful sun and scenery, when i got in and hit the button, all it did
    was engaging the solenoid:(. So tried to rock the truck back and forth a tad, to make sure, no tooth on tooth thing going on, guess what, nothing.

After that, i unbolted the starter motor and once out, could hear a rattling inside, which didn?t feel very good.

Once the clamp, that holdes the brushes, was off, a big peace of copper fell right on the workbench:(

It seems the rotor lost some of its copper parts and was happily spinning the sh#+&%t junk all through the fields and everywhere...

Long story short, i assume, getting a new/reconditioned/used but usable
    starter will be quit challenging??
    Do any of you fine gentleman know, if Chevy and GMC starters are the same?

The motor is the 228 and was converted to 12V.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated:):)

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The big deal is the Bendix drive ~ the tooth count on the replacement starter *MUST* match or it'll chew the flywheel's ring gear to junk in short order .

Any NAPA auto parts store can have that one rebuilt .

Me , I'd count the teeth and buy another one as I hate letting go of cores , even ruined ones like you have .

Joe will have what you need .

It's a wise idea to count the ring gear's teeth and go from there .

You can run a 6 volt starter on 12 volts nearly forever .

If you have a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt system , you'll be wise to take the time and hunt up a 12 volt solenoid for it as this will prevent the Bendix gear from slamming into the flywheel and damaging the teeth .

3. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Pictures

Thank you Nate, for your help.

A friend of mine came by yesterday and we talked about the starter problem.
    He knows a guy, who?s rebuilding starters and generators, he took the stuff
    with him and lets the guy judge, weather it?s rebuildable or not..?

Any way, i?m going to get another one, as they seem to be quit rare.
    Good tip with the 12V solenoid also, thans again.

Below are two shots of the rotor and fields.
    Wondering how this can happen??

Attached Files:

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Starter is toasted

Your rotor and windings are toasted and from the pictures i can see the copper walls are damaged to. I recommend that you buy the needed parts new and restore it wich is fully posseble and change out the brushes and bearings aswell. Having a spare starter is allways good and there not complicated to overhaul them. They sell compete kits.

Good luck Martinius.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

How It Happens

Something gets loose and falls in between closely clearanced rotating parts , the Laws Of Physiscs take over and ruin your day .

Lucky for you , none of this is actually ' rare ' at all ~ most Auto Electric Shops have piles of old obsolete starters & generators no one wants so finding the correct field coils and a decant armature is easy , then you simply need the patience to properly assemble it all , being sure to remember to REPLACE ALL THE BUSHINGS as they're critical to proper operation and long life .

I see the parts you need , on Flea-Bay all the time , there's thousands of different GM P/N's , lucky for you , many are interchangable .

Count the # of teeth on the Bendix and ask Joe AKA Mothertrucker if he has a good used one for you .

I got some original Delco solenoid and pedal starters 6 and 12 volts , with the Delco tags still on them for about $10 each because no one wanted to get filthy greasy taking them off the old trucks that were to be crushed for scrap....

Point being : don't despair , just be patient and you'll get there ~ Russ has a whole 216 sitting there waiting for some love , maybe he can sell you the starter off it ? .

Etc.

6. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Flea-bay

Once again, thank you very much Nate for your explanation, appreciate it.

I was looking through ebay and found this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-T..._Accessories&hash=item3a820282d3&vxp=mtr#shId

Would this fit the 228 GMC motor? Price seems reasonable, as i want to get another starter for back up, so rebuilding mine can be done, when time is not an issue.

I?ve contacted Joe, but he does not ship outside the USA anymore.

7. coilover

coilover Member

This is not meant to be put down but the part that has slung the windings out is called an armature. This could help when doing a search for parts. It's almost certain that the starter drive was stuck in the flywheel with the engine running to cause this. Do as Nate suggested and make sure the flywheel ring and starter drive are correct for each other. Also check for ragged or burred teeth on the ring gear and drive gear. If stuck into the flywheel the windings will sling out of a brand new starter as easily as a 60 year old one.

8. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Thank you, Evan. The starter is at a place, which rebuilds starters and generators, to check if it?s worth rebuilding or just held as a core for remaining parts.

As soon as i get it back, i?ll check the teeth and the flywheel, before putting in another starter. So you think, the fault was a stuck drive gear?

Hopefully i can get a new starter soon, before summer ends...

Thanks again, for your opinion

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Starters

Until you know how many teeth both the starter and flywheel have , you're kinda stuck here ~

DO NOT go buying an E-Bay starter until you know what it is you need .

The ad you linked , is wrong as the same starter doesn't fit '53 ~ '57 as 12 volts was introduced in the 1955 model year so this guy isn't as sharp as you need him to be .

Plus , your truck is now 55 years old so God alone knows who's swapped what parts on it , to illustrate another pointless , boring Nate Story :

My buddy wanted a '54 Chevy Post sedan and bought one from some guy at our shop , this poor thing was _nasty_ , had a late model 235 and was 12 volts , solenoid starter like yours .

One day his starter dies and he asked for my help .

I just happened to have a top quality Delco - Remy rebuilt starter for a '59 Chevy 235 , this is a 12 volt starter with a solenoid ~ I told him it *might* work but I needed to match it ~ he insisted he'd do all that and took it away , slapped it in and started his Low Rider and puttered off .

A few days later he complained to me it was very noisy when cranking and several times the starter had jammed into the flywheel and why had I given him a s#it starter ? .

Of course , his '54 still had the original 6 volt flywheel so there was NO WAY that 12 volt starter was going to work...

In the end , I took his dead starter apart and overhauled it , he kept the wrong starter and refused to return it to me ~ so much for helping a friend .

Long story short : COUNT THE TEETH .

O.K. ? . trying to be helpful here .

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Didn't Answer Your Question !

No ;

I don't think that starter in the Flea-Bay advert will work .

Sorry , I've been working perhaps a bit too long & hard .

11. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Nate, can?t thank you enough.

Believe it, or not, i always enjoy reading your posts, as there?s plenty of stories, what happends in real life!

Today a buddy and i will be going to an All American Car Show in Austria, Dornbirn, which is the biggest event close to home, held every second year,

then hopefully he has some good news from the guy, who has my toast starter
    right now:rolleyes:

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Okey-Doke

Thank you !

I get so many complaints about my stories....

I hope you take some pix to share .

Oldies , no rah - rah modern junk and Hot Rods , that's everywhere , oldies and stock originals are getting harder & harder to find these days .

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That is because all you old farts who remember them new are dying out. Us young punks remember the cool hot rods from our youts and that is what we want now. Try getting any $ for a resto 30s car (VS what $ went into them) and then price a hot rod......rods are where the $ is at.

Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate an original, just don't want one.....except the 53 I built.....

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh , Well Then

Grumble , grumble :p .

I doubt you'd get more $ for a Hot Rodded '39 Oldslowmobile Opera Coupe than a stock one in top shape .

15. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Show pics

A few pics from the Austrian Car Show, which is held every second year.

Weather was not to good, so not as many cars, spectators as usual,
    but still nice, to see.
    Also not many real old cars/trucks, more 70?s, onwards...

enjoy:)

Attached Files:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Austrian Car Show

Very nice , THANK YOU .

American vehicles only ? .

I really like the Coupe in pic. # 003 . a Chrysler product , not sure what .

17. Elky67

Elky67 Member

All American

About 99% American cars and bikes, with a handful old VW buses and beetles
    from a customizer shop, but sorry, didn?t take any pics of them, as i?m not
    a fan of these vehicles, even though VW buses(T1) are pretty cool...

If you like, go to:http://www.us-car-show.at/, in a few days, you prolly get
    hundreds of high quality pics, mucho better than mine.

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Car Show

Thanx ;

It's O.K. my VW dayze are well behind me now .

BTW : VW Transporters are Typ II , Beetles and 'Ghias are Typ I .

If you know anyone over there who's interested , I still have a nice old 1968 VW Typ II Panel Truck , 1 ton , new (not rebuilt) 1600 engine with all the upgrades , rebuilt tranny , brakes , ball joints , steering box on and on , all for $7k , my Son has it now and wants to sell it ~ stock , not lowered , chopped or otherwise damaged by ignorant children .

19. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Love the hot rod with the radial engine. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Damon

20. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for sharing those photos from the show.