starter wiring and coil question. help!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ol-betsy, Dec 20, 2006.

1. ol-betsy

ol-betsy Member

hello all! i just bought a 64 c-10 with a 283. it didnt have the starter hooked up or coil. so i went out and got the coil, now i dont know how they hook up.
    what i have is a starter with the obvious big post and wire. no problem there.
    but it has two more small posts on it. the wires i have hanging there are, black, (with braided cloth covering),
    yellow,
    and purple
    and a brown wire.
    thats the starter.

around the coil is a yellow wire, (from the starter area)
    and a black wire from the distributor,
    and a resistor looking thing on the coil braket with a black wire coming out of it.
    if anyone can give me a little nudge in the right direction it would be greatly appeciated!
    thanks all!!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

This is difficult to explain without a wiring diagram in front of you. ( I recommend you get a set for your truck. You will need them again,, trust me!) This wiring changes for a truck with gauges or warning lights.

OK.. At the coil the wires you mentioned

Yellow- Goes from the positive post on the coil to the " R " terminal on the starter
    Black wire from Distributor - Goes to the Negative post on the coil. The " resistor looking thing on the coil braket with a black wire coming out of it." , or Ballast resistor should be wired in-line.

At the starter;

Yellow - goes to the ,,, welll you know that already..
    Purple - goes on the " S" starter terminal and runs to a harness connector at the firewall. From there it goes to the ignition switch.
    Black- goes on the same terminal as the positive battery connection, or 'B" terminal. It runs to the same harness connector as above at the firewall. From there it runs to the Ampmeter. Because of the BLACK wire, I'll assume that your truck has guages, NOT warning lights in the dash.

Brown - Your guess is a s good as mine !! There are no Brown wires listed on the starter wiring diagram.

Good Luck !

Val

3. ol-betsy

ol-betsy Member

thanks a million! do you know of any websites that i can download a good wiring diagram? ohh one more thing....the resitor on the coil bracket has a brass connector on the end of the black wire coming out of it, so im assuming it was connected to the coil a one point. does anyonw know what side it connects to on the coil?
    ok so the braided black wire goes to the big termenal on the starter?
    thanks again!!!

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

" Black wire from Distributor - Goes to the Negative post on the coil. The " resistor looking thing on the coil braket with a black wire coming out of it." , or Ballast resistor should be wired in-line."

Aaaaaaa-Hem....... ;)

5. drabo

drabo Member

This should help

Attached Files:

6. drabo

drabo Member

More help for you

Attached Files:

7. drabo

drabo Member

Even more help. I figured that everyone could use these.

Attached Files:

8. ol-betsy

ol-betsy Member

thanks for the diagrams, they help alot!
    but now i got another question that someone might know the answer to.
    i have two black wires to the starter. one of them has a braided cloth cover, and the other is just a black wire, but its a hot wire.

what post does the black braided cloth coverd wire go?

i have to follow the other plain black wire to see where it goes. but im sure it goes to the same firewall plug that the others do.
    thanks all!
    :confused:

9. drabo

drabo Member

Wiring Diagrams

This should help on your starter wiring. I had to look long and hard to find this old post.

10. csumjr

csumjr Member

wiring

that funny looking thing in the bracket is a resistor, so the distributor puts all fire to the s/p wires.check the brick, or replace it, because if its cracked, you'll backfire. it would be better to but the wiring diagram to your truck, its easier than searching for it online, and mine hasn't failed me yet.

11. bennythebull

bennythebull Member

coil resistor

need help finding another coil resistor. the thing screwed to the coil bracket

12. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

The thing attached to the coil is a condensor for impedence, eliminating static over AM radio signals. The ballast resistor is attached to the firewall and it limits current to the points to avoid burning them.