steering column

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by bradley7576, Apr 11, 2006.

1. bradley7576

bradley7576 Member

i have a question i hope i can get a answer for. ineed to change steering columns on my truck to a shorter column and i need to know what i can use i have a 67' c10 and the column sticks out about 3 to 4 inches to far for my belly to fit. please help!:+

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I know you are probably asking about a used column from another vehicle, but at the risk of sounding obvious,,, you can order a new column from IDIDIT, Flaming River, Billet Specialties, and others I'm sure.

Other than that, the best advice I can provide is to head out to the local wrecking yerds, tape measure in hand, and start looking for a suitable doner. To make it easy on yourself, stick with GM columns.

DVal

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

I have a mid '70s Corvette tilt/telescopic for my '69. Using it will either require using the column ignition switch or removing it and filling in the hole. Some hand wiring work will be necessary and a floor shifter also but it will give you a lot of room. The downside is that a Corvette column will run in the area of $450.

Ididit columns ( http://www.ididitinc.com/ )are avail in several lengths in straight, tilt ot tilt/telescopic. Also in paintable steel or aluminum, polished or brushed. You can choose column shift ot floor and with or without ignition switch. If you are looking to save money I would think that a straight column in steel made to your required length would be cheaper than a Corvette unit. You'd have to contact them to be sure.

Tom