Steering Wheel alignment/setting

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Nov 19, 2011.

1. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Since I have moved my steering gear outbound on the frame (and install a v8 motor), I have tried twice to get the gear correctly indexed to the steering wheel - have tried twice.

When I raise the front of the truck and disconnect the pitman arm, I move the front wheels to be as straight as possible, turn the steering wheel to where its centered and then connect the arm. It looks fine while the vehicle is raised but when its lowered and on the ground, the steering wheel is apx 90 degrees out when I drive it. The splines on the gear connection only allow the arm to be connected where the absence of splines align. I assume I'm doing this incorrectly.

If I cannot figure this out, can I remove the steering wheel and reindex it?

Thanks
    Roger

2. federale

federale Member

Yep. Pop that sucker off, align it where you want it and bolt it back down.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Unplug the wire at the horn first. You won't scare yourself so much.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Aquire a steering wheel puller.

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Steering wheel puller smerring wheel puller!

A simple way to remove a steering wheel is to Use a air chisel :eek: if you have one. I know this sounds funny but you can do this faster than you can go get the puller out of your tool box. First you need a air chisel with a punch point attachment. Then you loosen the nut on the steering wheel but leave it on the threads flush with the shaft. This is so you don't hit yourself in the face with the steering wheel when it comes off. Then place the punch end in to the hole that is drilled in to the end of the shaft , if there isn't a hole then just put it in to the center of the shaft. Then while pulling up on the wheel with one hand pull the trigger on the air chisel and in less than 2 seconds the wheel will pop off. I have never had a wheel I couldn't get off using this method and no body has ever been able to do it faster with a puller....Big Tim :cool:

6. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Steering wheel

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how I make out.

Roger