Steering wheel reconditioning

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by yelton57, Dec 12, 2011.

1. yelton57

yelton57 Member

If you have a steering wheel that is cracked and need it repaired, I am set up to do this and would be willing to work on one for someone for a small fee. I can also usually come up with good cores for most years. PM with question. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. indybowtie

indybowtie Member

Where are you located?

3. yelton57

yelton57 Member

Southern Missouri.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow !

That looks *SO* nice ! .

I discovered they still make the green steering wheels for my '68 C/10 , it's badly shrink cracked , I'd love to get a green Chevy steering wheel with a chrome horn 1/2 ring .

5. yelton57

yelton57 Member

I've wondered about those color cast wheels, you cant really paint one and have it look like its supposed too.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rebuilt Steering Wheels

Yes and no ;

Some of the older Chrysler metal flake ones are really hard to do as well as some of the lighter colored plastic ones but I've seen a few that really looked nice .

I use Koch in Sta. Clarita , Ca. and my '49's Ivory colored steering wheel really looks nice .

Of course , they do them in batches and my original *perfect* NO CRACKS steering wheel prolly wound up on some Low Rider (I know one of his workers , a crooked sumb*tch) but the rim to spoke cracks it now has are very tiny and seem to make folks think it's some esoteric & rare original one I picked off an AD Yard Goat years ago so I leave it ..... the paint they use , does have a deep look to the color , maybe it's Epoxy paint ? I dunno .

7. yelton57

yelton57 Member

I do like epoxy paint on steering wheels, it seems like it has the right depth and gloss. Takes a long time to set up though. I haven't really seen anything that can replicate the later wheels that are cast in a solid color. Guess I'll be doing another few wheels in a few days to sell. It's becoming an obsession I think.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Epoxy Paint

Can't you gently heat it to speed drying time ? .