Still at it

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg i bought some new primer with the harder a few weeks ago first round not good at all paint store failed to mention that I also had to reduce it as well I called a painter I know he stopped by to help me save the train wreck.
    So today I tryed it again with a little more luck a few runs but sand able (I hope)
    Man the the money wasted on this hobby with supply's while trying to do it my self
    One day at a time I guess
    Robert

Attached Files:

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg See if I can't get this pic in

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Should have said still at it very slowly

4. Zig

Zig Member

Well the good news is, that's the primer. When it's dry, I imagine you can sand it smooth.
    I'm sure it will be as much fun as sanding drywall, but I have no doubt you will get it!
    I used rattle can primer, so I missed out on this fun.
    The good news is, the paint you will spray should go on much better!
    Are you using a gravity feed or syphon gun?
    Thanks for the update!

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Here's the spray gun harbor freight

7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Robert, look at the other side of the coin: If you had "just paid somebody else to get your truck to where you want it", you'd be done already. And by the way, spent a BOAT load more cash to get to that place. Not to mention she wouldn't be "yours" like she is (already).

Also, my brother "experimented" with numerous Harbor Freight spray guns. In the end, he returned every one (poor build quality, gobs of "sealant" in the passages, leaky fittings, not disassemble-able for cleaning). Spend a little more, and get a REAL spray gun- with the astronomical cost of the materials, the savings will pay off- and you can always sell the (slightly) used spray gun once you are finished with it.

8. Mike1951

Mike1951 Member

Robert
    I shot all my primer with a HF gun. They are not great but..... Look on the bright side by the time you block it five or more times you'll be able to lay down a perfect coat of primer. I hate to steal Nate's line but it will go a lot easier if you keep that sprayer "hospital clean". Zig is right kinda like sanding drywall. Take your time you'll get it.

Papy

9. coilover

coilover Member

We use cheap guns for priming for 80 and 180 grit sanding and then use a good gun for priming prior to long block sanding with 400. Two color guns, Sata or DeVilbiss are used depending on type of paint, and then clear is applied with an Iwata.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Robert ;

BE PROUD ! you're doing your own paint , that's a good thing as it's not an easy task , I know having tried my hand at Auto Painting 40 years ago .

11. Zig

Zig Member

DSCF0085.JPG DSCF0005.JPG I used the gravity feed Home Depot gun. Paint and clear. I think it turned out good for a daily driver. It laid on smooth enough I never worried about buffing or sanding, just washing and waxing. Not that there aren't runs here and there, but it's smooth overall, and I don't have to put signs up that say "look, but don't touch". Mine read "Go ahead and lean up on this thing and let's chat." #biggrin# DSCF0085.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

12. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry for posting these pictures twice. I guess you can get a real good look at them this way.

13. Zig

Zig Member

One other thing that may have helped was having a regulator right at the gun. That way I knew I had correct pressure right up to that point.
    The gun I got was a Husky HV. I believe it was around $45?
    Everything was painted out under the big blue sky. There are a couple of insects that wanted to be immortalized and there is a faint trail of cat paw prints across one of the doors.
    You know how cats gotta be~
    I only took mine to the one car show, and I got the feeling I needed to keep it parked far away from those high $$$$$$$$ painted cars.

14. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks for the pics Zig

Zig likes this.
  15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Best thing about the folks that hang around here? It just doesn't matter HOW you got your AD to where it is, its that you GOT your AD to where it is! No rabid stock-or-walk mentality at ALL. Just look at the active threads on the forum right now. ALL manner of bringing an AD to where the owner wants it. Whether you are coaxing a 216 to life, slipping in a 235, wrenching on GMC's larger offerings, or sliding a later I6 in between the fenders, its ALL good. And the "V ate" crowd is well represented, be it vintage V8's or a modern LS offering. Under all that sheet metal- be it patina'd, rolled on, or smooth as glass, there is a dizzying array of options- from stock frames to air-bagged to IFS'd and IRS'd offerings, to re-framed completely- the one thing we all share is a love for the humble truck offerings from GM, late 1947 to mid-1955. Thanks everyone! And thanks to our gracious host.

16. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Well said

17. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

I have to go and retread your build because I do remember when you said a cat had walked across one of your doors end of day great stuff. on the other hand you or I wouldn't like to hear a painter tell you that a cat walked across your door after you just payed him ten grand

18. Zig

Zig Member

IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1067.JPG But if you paid someone big $$$$$$, you would probably freak to see your parts spread like this, outside a booth.

19. Zig

Zig Member

BTW, notice how close the bird feeder is to all these parts? I do what I can, but if a bird crapped on all that work, a bird crapped on all that work. So be it. I will never post a "Look but don't touch!" sign. Hop in. If you scratch it up, (and it really gets to where it bothers me) I'll repaint it. I won't ruin a friendship over that~ #cool#

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Better paint works than I ever did......