Stretching "The Smog Limit"

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GMC Guy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

i'm restoring a 79 GMC 1/2 2wd, i bought the truck thinking it would be smog exempt after it's 30th birthday...found out, not the case :mad:

it has a newer gm 350 crate motor, which is the thing that attracted me to it, i could just see the potential :rolleyes: anyway i decided to keep it and try to get around the "smog cloud" hovering over it. i know they make smog legal cams, carbs, headers, mufflers, etc.. but i'm curious to know what anyone else has done to make good power (and a clean look, god those vacuum lines are ugly) with a smog era truck, while still keeping it legal. thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Not sure if it helps but look under "classiac laws"
    I'm rebuilding a 83 and from my understanding {here in Texas} after the first of: Jan. 09 I can regestier mine as a classic and not have to worry about emssions. Hope this helps! :)

3. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

man i'm jealous :(
    my liberal piece of **** state wants to pass a bill requiring ALL vehicles to have smog tests. that's right even the classics, i just looked it up....absolutly rediculous.. :mad:

4. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Well, considering it is still legal to drive a car without a seatbelt if it was not equipped from the factory, I don't think they will be able to go that far. Although I know that soon diesels '97 and newer under 5 or 6k GVWR will need to be smogged.

There are ways around smog. You could look for a '73-'75 or a diesel pickup or cab with a clean title. There are also counties that don't require biannual smog checks, I think I was once told all you need is a PO box and give that as your mailing address to the dmv? I went the extreme route of swapping my 4.3L V6 for a diesel (my carb was junk and I was planning on getting a V8 anyway:cool:).

5. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Sorry to hear about you're state; mine has been trying to do the same
    with older cars & trucks but, I aint given in without a fight. :cool:
    Only other thing I can tell you is regestier it in a differnt county;
    if you have a friend or family in another county then use they're address and get it checked out there. Good luck!!
    Contact the dmv or the place where you get your tags, just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  6. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

im pretty sure the one thing that dosent change from state to state is the "either or"..... Whichever is newer, motor/vehicle, you have to pass smog on the newer... passing smog law based on '85 standards is easy. Get a couple of high flow cats from summit racing and a X/H pipe under the cab and all should be good... JUST REMEMBER TO TURN down THE FUEL JET ON THE CARB, AND TURN up THE AIR JET.... i had to do that crap when i lived in AZ awhile back. they didnt care if you had doors on the car as long as it passed the stupid test... :D
    g.t.

7. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Not in CA. Requirements are stricter than Federal Smog and use a computer controlled carb. A headache I'm glad I'm rid of.

8. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

they use their own 'throttle' body carb? to do smog?? I guess all you can do is put a bunch of hiflow cats, put 100$ woth of JP110 in the tank and cross your fingers...sorry not of much help on stuff "YALL" do in CA.:D
    g.t.

9. jef5150

jef5150 Member

GMC,
    You need to make friends with someone up here in Calaveras County !:D
    You register your vehicle in this county but drive it in yours!;)
    Im only 20 miles from stockton ,but we are only required to have our vehicles smogged "AT sale only". No annual smog check..:cool:

jeff

10. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

so uh... wanna be my friend? haha ;)

11. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

79 would and should have to pass the smog test set for 79 or on the year of the newer motor. What the 350 motor based on newr or older then 79 smog set up ( Even if it does not have any smog stuff on it. That means it a newer motor was set up on older specks ( smogs wise) would have to be set up as the 79 to pass, that would be good. Try to find out what specks for you motor that factory in stalled. Compression, head cc, carb, intake.
    now if you can bring down the the number on the good side, you can change a few things as long as you run all the EGR and tubes the stuff work.

12. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

sounds like you need to get a p.o. box a little further north...:D
    g.t.

13. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:confused:

GMCGuy? Did you ever het your'e truck taken care of?
    I found two doffernt ways to do mine; I can regestier it as a classiac and get tags{only can't drive it more than 500 miles permonth}
    Or I went ahead and put new motor in it and left the origanal breather on it with some hoses hooked up and made sure everthing else was in working order.
    Parking brake, all lights even lincense plate light, horn,wipers and make sure all lug nuts are in place and rubber on tires is good and they passed me.

If this don't do it then go to an outside countie.

14. 77 NO SMOG PART

77 NO SMOG PART Member

need help i need smog parts HELP

I have a 77 chevy custom deluxe that bought thinkin it didnt need smog dumb me well it does and i cant afford to pay for new smog parts well my littlr sister wants the truck for her first car and i can not find parts here at a decent price can any of you help me please i need smog pump mounting bracket air cleaner exaust manifolds with smog rails its just a running 350 with none of the smog like it was a 68 or something with no smog help help help i really want to get it legal so shr can drive it

15. 77 NO SMOG PART

77 NO SMOG PART Member

ca smog ahhhh

ok everyone in cali if any of you have extra smog you dont need i will buy it im struggling here 77 350 all parts

16. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

have you tried salvage yards?

17. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek:
    What state do you live in? A 77 here in texas is way to old.
    I got mine done {83} by using the old breather with a few dummie hoses hooked up and that was after I installed the new motor. If this doesn't work look under the classic laws if ya'll have any.
    Hope this helps....good luck!!

18. 77 NO SMOG PART

77 NO SMOG PART Member

yay no smog required for my 77

ok everyone get this i found out today that here in ca since i have a 77 chevy with a 70 motor that is a small block 400 not a 350 and it was put in my truck before they passed the law that you can't do that anymore put a older motor in a new truck and have it be smog exmept that i no longer need smog it gets "smogged" as a 70 in a 77 body whooo hooo so much easier and so i have a 70,76,77 chevy the vin shows its a 76 weird but the paperwork shows it as a 77 thanx for all the suggestions guys i will be a legal truck by friday

19. 77 NO SMOG PART

77 NO SMOG PART Member

yes i did try a junk yard buy being girl they think im dumb and dont know anything but they are way wrong but thanks

20. 77 NO SMOG PART

77 NO SMOG PART Member

i live in ca thanx i slipped through it today