striker plates

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by motorhead52, Apr 2, 2006.

1. motorhead52

motorhead52 Member

Did the seach and if i read everything right doors from a 51 will work with striker plates from a 49. Am i correct on this, just want to make sure beforestart assembling.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I've never done this but I've seen Mark's truck and he claims the late doors on it are from adding later ('53) doors and striker plates .

FWIW , don't use the repop striker plates in the early trucks ! they wear rapildy even when properly adjusted , I bought a set of N.O.S. GM ones on E-pay and then made some shims by cutting up the failed repop striker plates to shim the strikers closer to the latch for proper engaugement ~ if you look as the door closes , the latch usually barely enters the striker , a result of poor quality control in the body jigs when your truck was originally built . you _DON'T_ want to doors flying open so careful shimming and adjusting of the striker is smart to do ! my doors now open and close smooth like a Buick ~ NO slamming needed .

-Nate

3. coilover

coilover Member

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: 'BearClaw' Latches

Wow , that's GREAT ! much safer too ! .

I'm an old mechanic who just wants the stock stuff to work at least as well as it did when new , better if possible .

I hope all of you know that these old trucks (and cars !) are _DEATHTRAPS_ and the doors -WILL- spring open in any serious accident

The primary purpose of the improved " BearClaw " latch design is to reduce or prevent the doors from popping open in a crash....

Good job there ~ wanna borry my truck for a few weeks ? .

-Nate

5. coilover

coilover Member

RE: 'BearClaw' Latches

Nate, all my customers seem to want their trucks all hooty tooty which is fine and what we're in business for but I'm afraid if you left your truck and I could drive one with the feel, smell, ride and handling of a 49 it would take me back to my youth and I'd never return it.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Original Trucks

Yeah , I hear you! LOL ! :D

That's why I drive a 1949 unrestored rig for my shop truck ~ it's my own personal time machine and when I climb in and shut the door , grab that big fat old ivory steering wheel , it's 196- again and I'm just a farm boy off to load some hay , milk cans or maybe go junkyard scrounging in rural New Hampshire , stop by the dairy on the way home and grab some ice cream . :p

you know how it is , sadly , to-day's kids do not

:'(

-Nate
    (older but no wiser)