Swap tranny350 to a manual gearbox

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Willem, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Willem

Willem Member

After building a new engine for my Chevy, I'm not quiet satisfied with the automatic transmission.... The engine is a 350. Anybody know if it's possible to bolt on a manual 4box or where are the problems to expect?

There are not too many people in Holland with Chevy's... Who can help me out a little?

Also I would change the dif with a limited sper dif. What are the best? Overhere nobody knows......

Please can anybody help me out???

Willem
    +31 402230006

2. mrlurch13

mrlurch13 Member

RE: Swap tranny350 to a manual gear

Charles F Rising JR: yes you can swap that slushbox tranny for a manual one. you need a flywheel( not the flexplate that comes with an automatic) flexplate is light and flywheel is heavy and has a machined surface on it. you need a good transmission; you may get lucky and find a good five speed instead of the four speed if you look hard enough. EBAY has lots every now and again in the parts section.you need the pedal assembly from a manual shifted truck as well clutch pedal brake pedal and gas instead of brake and gas.
    you need the shifter as well or a good aftermarket one. clutch assembly(clutch disc,pressureplate,and throwoutbearing and pilot bearing or bushing(whichever applys) and the alighnment tool. as for rear ends i recomend the ford 9" rearend as it is a good rearend as well as the ten bolt posi unit from chevy but make sure it is a posi unit (both tires turn the same way when you turn one tire). that should cover you questions rather well. CHEVY DUTY or a good salvage yard should have the required pedal assembly
    :D