Sway Bar

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50Jimmy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

A week ago I drove the 50 to work and on the way in, something went ping and bounced down the road behind me. Front spring shackle. I limped it in and put it on a trailer later that evening.

The shackle repair was a 30 minute job. No Biggie. While ordered shackle parts from classic parts, I also put in an order for one of the sway bars.

I am surprised. The cornering is greatly improved with much less body roll. It is not any slalom racer, but there is a lot less creaking and swaying. It does seem to work the power steering a lil bit more when going around a corner.

If you are planning to keep the straight axle and run highway speeds, I heartily recommend it.. It is NOT exactly a bolt on for an advance design GMC however, I had to do some mods to the brackets and drill a couple of holes in the crossmember.

2. Zig

Zig Member

Cool deal~

Okay, I was already sold on this idea, but now (since you have a GMC) I would love some pictures that show the mods you have to make.
    If you have the time and determination to post some pictures, I know I for one would love to see this! :cool:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AD Sway Bar

FWIW ;

There are two different ones available , one is an exact duplicate of the factory Suburban sway bar and bolts right on .

I know not who sells either typ .

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

front sway bar

the first time I took number one son for a drive in the truck, he practically crapped his pants on the first curve the body rolled so much. You all should have seen his face!!! It was hilarious. Some time later, I managed to score an original front sway bar. it languished in the garage for a while until same son insisted we put it on one day.

Both of us were simply AMAZED at how much better the truck handled. Definitely worth the time, effort and money. Really was an easy bolt-in too.

Andy

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Swaybars are your friends. I have front and rear in mine.

6. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

So if I installed a mustang II with dropped spindles and I'm putting a 4 link with coilovers in the back on my 54 1/2 ton will I need sway bars for mine?

Thanks

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

At least in the front. I like them in the rear also.

8. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Where's a go place on the internet to buy a sway bar for a mustang II front end that has 5/8" shorter a-arms?

Thanks

9. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Anti-Sway bar

have a complete,,Nice and clean, Anti-Sway bar from a '51 panel im parting out. 175.00+
    PM me if interested.

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I got mine from Fatman. Seems it is listed as an earlier chevy pickup application, many will try to say that there isn't one for our trucks. You may be able to find one that is in spec.s of what you want from one of the big dealers. Give them your measurements and they can find one.

11. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

Powerglide3100. PM sent

12. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Check our host. I bought mine from Classic Parts of America. Bolt on... exactly as instructions stated. Duh, I just remembered, my GMC is built on a Chevy chassis....