Sway bars

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Reinovator, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Ok here it is.
    I have a 1977 gmc 1/2 ton 2x4, was a sway bar stock equipment? my truck does not have one.
    Also rear sway bar options for a leaf spring applications was there ever a factory option for the body type?
    like for the camper special, or the gentlemen jim PU etc?
    If so I would like some factory part# or after market #
    So I can cross reference these to my to my local parts house's.
    One parts house I went to showed it and the other didn't? front sway bar. and no rear.:eek:

Here's some more odd factoids. One parts house showed that my 1991 Caprice classic has the same frame sway bar bushings and link kit as a 1977 GMC pick up 2 wheel drive? odd.
    And the rear axle bearings are the same between my caprice and my 1/2 to 4x4 1988 GMC suburban. this is either. a case of lazy engineering or if it ain't broke don't fix it, a good design is a good design. or bad parts books.:eek:
    Whats the truth?

2. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Im not real sure about the older trucks but most squares ive seen have had front sway bars, maybe the real low base models didn't come with them but you can always add one from a junk yard truck. My old 83 dually had a rear sway bar and that's the only type of truck ive personally seen them on, but I have to assume that camper specials and probably 76-77 Blazer chalets had them also.

GM cars and truck are well known for their interchangeability between parts. Go on Oreillys and look up almost any part and click the compatibility tab, you will see what im talking about.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thanks
    My 1ton 4x4 dually doesn't have a rear sway bar( it should with the utility box) but it does have a front one. Same as my 88 square 4x4 1/2ton suburban but no rear.
    My 77 GMC is 2 wheel drive. I checked the lower control arms and there are two holes on the front curve facing up word on lower control arms. but only one hole drilled in the frame where the frame bushings would mount it takes two from what the illustrations show that I've seen.
    I'm thinking most GM 4x4's had the front rear optional.
    and 2 wheel 1/2 ton drive in the mid 70's was an option.
    I will look and O'Rileys thanks for the lead.

4. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

5. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Here's some thing else which may or may not be of interest.

I've been thinking of lowering my front end so I looked up ball joints
    nope not the same BUT the 91 caprice front rotors( According to O'Reily online parts comparability) will work on my 77 GMC pickup, but the pickup rotors will not work on the 91 caprice. The calipers are the same way.
    this is most likely due to the abs system.
    Hay ABS Breaks on a 1977 GMC! NAH no rear end sensor. Dang, Oh well, cant have every thing. LOL:D

6. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

I had a 1977 C1500 GMC Sierra Grande. As new, it did not have a front or rear sway bar. I added a front from another truck. I dont believe any 1/2 ton had a rear sway bar. No 4x4's had a rear sway bar. It seems all 1 ton Camper Special (Z81 or Z83) got rear sway bar, SRW, DRW, pickup or chassis cab. Some 3/4 ton Camper Specials got rear sway bar but not all.

There are no sway bar links on front sway bars on any 73-87 C/K. On 4x2, the bar ends go right through a bushing on the control arm, held by a "C" shaped clamp. All C/K 73-87 front sway bars interchange, respectively, C and K. You can use a 3/4 ton or 1 ton front sway bar on your half ton. Make sure you get the front pedestals that are rivetted to the frame.

Many 1/2 ton trucks shared the same rear wheel bearings as B body station wagons.

7. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thank you GoincGM;
    I may have forgotten or not aware of the "pedestal" for the frame mount, is that in reference to the rear end I'm into so many different Professions, I get SO CONFUSED.
    If you can post a shot of one I'll find the item and install it. The rest of your information just confirms some of my suspicion about GM's methods of using a 'proven' part. although my caprice is a 4 door not a wagon. but that's neither here nor there, just FYI.

8. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Here is a Diagram I found
    This may help I think it's item 56, I realized It was called a 'perch' where I have experience. Here they call it a bracket. but I now see what you mean. I can make that.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  9. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

Front. Per the illustration, the pedestal is 56 and is rivetted to the frame, hence item 51.

10. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thank you, sir.