switch from splitrims 17" to 16"conventional wheels?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Hanch64, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Hanch64

Hanch64 Member

Could anybody tell me the most cost effective way to get rid of the 17" split rim wheels I have on my 64 c-30 longhorn stepside,and get a 16" set of wheels .I have the half inch studs so I'm having bad luck finding any 8-lug wheels set up for those studs.HELP!! Hanch64

2. ddsmith

ddsmith Member

Hi Hatch,
    I understand your problem. I am in the process of looking at replacement of my 16" splitrims with a conventional rim. I have found out some information that might be helpful to you. My rims are hub-piloted meaning that they center on the hub as opposed to stud piloted meaning that the studs center the rims. I also have the same problem with 1/2" studs. One of the web sites that has lots of information on the newer style wheels is accuride.com they have information to identify wheel type that you might be finding used. I'm debating on replacing the studs with larger ones or using small steel tubing to make up the slop. Tubing is sized based on inside diameter so with the proper wall thickness you should be able to make a nice tight clearance between the existing studs and the newer wheels stud size. This tubing would be cut thin enough not to interfer with the clamping plate which would need to be used. You should be able to use 1/2" cone style lugs. This may all be to much of a pain and I may just drive the original studs out and drill the hubs to accept 9/16" stud which work with available clamping plates and 90 degree cone lugs. A possiblity that you may consider is that at 800wheels.com you can purchase wheels removed from new vehicles when the owner wanted upgraded wheels. They look pretty good and I'm pretty sure they would work. The price for the newest ones are around $65.00 a piece. I don't know if you get the center cap/ clamping plate with the deal. If you compare this to totally trashed junkyard wheels. It seems pretty cost effective. I'm currently trying to purchase some used wheels but my source only has four. I guess I'll buy them and look for the other two I need for my 1966 C30 stakebody dump. I have also been able to find tire size conversion charts on the web to maintain proper speedometer indication if you want that. If you have any questions post them and I'll get back to you.