Tail Light Harness, no Bright lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by VRod Scott, Oct 8, 2009.

1. VRod Scott

VRod Scott Member

Just installed a standard NAPA Chevy Trailer tail light harness. Unplugged the truck harness above the license plate and plugged it in, no problems, everything works except now I do not have any High Beam on my headlights, low beam work fine. any suggestions on where to start? My High beam switch is on the floor (1983 C-10)

Thanks/Scott

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Does your head lights on high work if you unplug it . Have you test the head light to see if the high beams are not burned out.
    Check the head light with two prongs that your high beam head light only the three prong is your low & high beam if you have duel head lights.

Make sure that the conection on both the head light and the plug are good and clean. It could be the switch for the high beam on the floor has gone bad. Oh make sure the conection on both ends at the switch for the high beam on the floor are clean.

3. 69-er

69-er Member

I agree with Pontiac1976 on checking the dimmer switch. That's always been the weak link in the headlight system.

The high beam problem has to be a coincidence as the headlight and tail light circuits are completely separate. There is nothing in the rear tail light harness that is related to the head lights.

4. VRod Scott

VRod Scott Member

Thanks for the Advise, it was the dimmer Switch!

5. petercarmon

petercarmon Member

hi VRod Scott. can i ask for an update on this? were you able to fix this yet? coz i also noticed something wrong with the high beam on my headlights. just wondered how to go about this. should i look for replacements?\

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011