Tailgate Ideas

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Depoebay, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

I decided to eliminate the tailgate chain setup on my 52. Went with a door latch (round slider) to lock the Tailgate in the upright position. Ideas for when I want to let it down? cable? hinged flat bar ?

2. coilover

coilover Member

It's an automatic with us for getting rid of tailgate chains: cut inside edge off of channels at ends of tailgate, mount Ford limiter cable (kinks the right direction), install seat belt male ends on tailgate and female latches on bed side, go about rat killing. When closed cables are invisible from inside or out. Of course some customers let it be known in no uncertain terms to leave their chains alone.

dan's 49 007.jpg dan's 49 008.jpg dan's 49 006.jpg

3. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

coilover.. I hope I didn't hit a nerve. I was hoping for some out of the box thinking.
    I am 64 and decided to finally build a nice hot rod. I have built some go fast cars
    but I like the fat fender trucks.. The 55 was my test dummy. I like to fabricate and design. Was my upbringing.

Zig likes this.
  4. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

I'll be interested to see your new design and see how it works. Keep us posted.

5. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Thanks for the interest.
    Right now I am working on interior design and details still. I like to think about projects in advance, Write my ideas down and later come back to them.

Try to get one thing done on the 52 per day. My other woman has been taking some time away...Building custom fishing rods.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Once I get a tailgate, I'll post my ideas~ #frown#