Texas Vintage License Plates

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Texas53, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Texas53

Texas53 Member

I have a pair of vintage plates that I want to use on my truck. You know, the kind with the year stamped in the metal plate. In my case, 1953. I went to register the truck yesterday and was told by my county tax office that I can not use the plates because they do not say "Truck". Has anyone else in Texas encountered this?

2. Colin's56

Colin's56 Member

I have a been told back in the day the cars plain plates and the trucks had the word "Truck" stamped in them! I currently have a 1956 truck with "truck" plates reg here in the state of TX and had not problems reg it? you may need to find "truck" plates. Hope this helps

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Bummer. I'll do some hunting and see if I can find the actual regulations.

I have '57 Texas Truck plates on my GMC.

Attached Files:

• rear.jpg
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Commercial Registration

Is a seperate deal as the fees collected go to different uses .

Some states have non - commercial or " Private Truck " registrations (Louisiana) but most states have either the word " truck " , " commercial " stamped into the plate or a specific anpha - numeric designation (California)

If you hit up outlying pawn shops and thrift stores , you should be able to find a pair of plates for cheap .

Be aware that if you re-finish them , DO NOT tell the DMV ! most states will not allow re-painted plates to be registered .

It's all part of the fun , hunting up the correct license plates for your hobby truck .

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

According to TxDOT, you CAN refinish your Texas YOM plates, as long as you use original colors.

6. el camion 51

el camion 51 Member

TexasPlates

I was able to use 1951 plates on my truck in Potter County that did not have TRUCK stamped on them. Maybe I just got the right clerk.
    Tim

7. Texas53

Texas53 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. It doesn't seem like it is a hard and fast law regarding using vintage passenger car plates trucks. I tried a different DOT office and they allowed it. For "antique cars" there is a law that allows car plates on trucks. But trucks registered that way should not be used for normal transporttion, only to go to car shows, etc. It is vague if the same applies for "classic" cars in Texas.

Mike

8. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

North Carolina allows us to display the year of manufacture plate and keep the new plate with the vehicle. I store mine under the floormat.
    This seems like a good solution. I found a gentleman in the Charlotte area who restores old plates and he had a beautiful 1954 NC truck plate. I have his contact information if anybody is looking for a restored plate.

9. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

We can use OLD plates on the road?

Am I understanding correctly? In some states, you are allowed to register and use OLD plates on the road in place of NEW plates? (assuming that the old numbers are unique for that state) If this is true, I had no idea and I will have to check with Florida and Illinois to see if they allow that, then start looking for mine!

10. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

You are correct - WA allows vintage plates for classic registrations. I just need to get the truck running and to the state patrol for inspection to register with my vintage truck plate and apply for lost title. Larry

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Here's a pretty good link for checking to see if your state has "YOM" laws. Once in the site, click on the DMV info.

www.turnerplates.com

12. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

Plates

The number on the 1954 plates does not matter and is not registered-you can display any YOM plate as long as the new correctly registered plate is in the vehicle if needed. Mine is under the floormat. Just another reason to love North Carolina!

13. aggiejon

aggiejon Member

I have a pair of 49 Farm Truck Plates for my 1949. I have a pair of 52 plates that I bought before I knew it was necessary to get plates that match the year of the truck on the title.

I've found a few that were dented/rusted/faded on ebay. I repainted the 49 set and they turned out great. I am going to refinish the 52 and a pair I bought for my barber. He has a 57 car. If you find a set, let me know. I'll redo them for a little cash. Check out my blog (linked below) for pics of the before, during, and after pics.

Always be sweet and give only yes or no answers to the DMV clerks in TX. I've not met many that are overly nice or generous. But you can find them when they are not completely raving mad.

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

The local DMV across the driveway where I work use to have people there that caused me to cuss their linage. Once the main supervisor left they got nicer to the people.
    However I have done business with 5 different states and no where were they nastyer than the office located in Parker, Arizona.

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If you can't find the proper plates, I can usually find them at Charlotte Auto Fair in April. Let me know.

16. PawPaws52

PawPaws52 Member

In Tennessee you have the option to buy the antique tag or register a year tag for your viehicle, didn't know that until I went to DMV and the clerk told me that if I find year tag to match the truck I could register it, so a hunting I went, same usage of the vehicle pertains to both tags, just got my 52 state shaped tags registered to my truck with no problems. I have a 31 Ford coupe that I'll start next year and I already have a tag for it. Swap meets are a great place to find year tags.

17. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I was thinking of moving to Florida, so I checked on Antique and YOM plates. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Florida actually remanufacters the old plates with correct year and paint colors. They were very nice to see. Not too badly priced for what you get as some originals are very pricey.

Flashlight

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New / Old License Plates

That's SWEET ! .

I wonder why more states don't do this as prisons are bursting in every state , why not let them do some useful work for a change ? .

Ca. is so stupid & cheap , they've stopped stamping the ' CALIFORNIA ' across the top and will soon prolly stop embossing the lettters & numbers too .
    '

19. federale

federale Member

Re:Embossing

The everyday plates here in Ohio are still stamped metal,but the "special issue" plates come with crappy letters that look as if they are stick-ons.:rolleyes:

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nc plates are now printed.