th-400 swap

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by PrimerGMC, Apr 26, 2004.

1. PrimerGMC

PrimerGMC Guest

Im swapping a long shaft th-400 into my truck, 1976 GMC, it had a th-350 in it but for the higher hp application I've decided on the swap. I've heard the th-400's had an electric kickdown switch but how would that work if I decided not to get the kickdown, just to shift it like a manual valve-body in a sense. Also what about the cross-member, would that be in the same place or would it be moved, and if it had to be moved, would I have to drill holes in the frame or would there be holes there for it already. The driveshaft is a two-piece, I know it has to be shortened, but should I stay with the two-piece or get a custom one-piece?
    Thanks for all the help.

2. eugene68

eugene68 Member

electric kickdown?????? are you sure? I thought it was a vacumn kickdown. your crossmember should be o.k. If you have access to a reputable driveline shop, I would just cut it down or check your play in the two-piece driveline, you MIGHT be able to adjust it out that way. I REPEAT, MIGHT. Sometimes there is enough room to move it back, but you don't want it to bind.
    anyone else out there have any info?
    I think the "kickdowns" function is not just limited to passing gear,it has something to do with all the shift points. I have always read that if it is mis-adjusted it could burn up your tranny faster
    I might be mis informed, can any one else shed some light on this?

eugene

3. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

Jason Richardson
    1975 K20 BB454
    1976 K20 BB454
    1980 K30 soon to be BB502

the crossmember schould be good to go. as for the elec. kickdown just get a kickdown switch for your truck with a 400, it mounts down on the gas pedal, run a hotline to it and the trans. and you are good to go. just remember to hook up the vac. modulator or you can burn it up real fast.