Tighten the srews of the camshaft

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wokri, May 15, 2018.

1. wokri

wokri Member

Hello,
    I have two questions, if I tighten the srews of bracket that hold the camshaft to the cylinder block, than I can't turn the camshaft.
    [​IMG]
    What do I wrong?
    And one another question, what do I fix with this srew?
    [​IMG]
    The block number is
    GM 3835911
    Ask
    Wolfgang

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm no Chevy 6 expert, but my GMC 6 has a spacing ring behind the camshaft thrust plate that those bolts go through. Does yours have or need one?

3. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

There could be a problem with the rear plug at the end of the camshaft (it will look like a freeze plug). This could possibly be pressed in too far.
    Or the thrust plate could be on backwards.? Without looking at it, its hard to say for sure. BUT,,, I would have used a metal timing gear,, the fiber gears were used mainly on car engines. Also, the camshaft / timing gear assembly usually goes in after the crankshaft is in.

The screw on the side of the engine,, without seeing a bigger picture i would guess its for holding on the sheet metal baffle to keep oil from splashing up into the road draft tube.
    Good Luck
    Martin

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. wokri

wokri Member

ok, I will have a look and give an answer.

5. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Wolfgang, Where is the plate that goes on the front of the block? The plate also is the front motor mount, and has the cam gear oiler in it.
    This plate also needs to go onto the engine first, before the cam goes in.
    I think you should get an Assembly Manual before you go any further with this.