Tilt front end

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Alex Ayala, May 23, 2007.

1. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can get plans to do a tilt front end? I had seen an article about it years ago in a Hot Rod or Truckin' magazine but I can't find it anymore.

Has anyone ever done one personally? Would appreciate any hints or tips on how to make the hinges and pivots.

I also plan on using my original metal, no fiberglass for me.

Thanks

2. Dave M

Dave M Member

Get ready for alot of work to do the steel front end. I have done both, and the steel ends up pretty heavy. I don't have any pictures, but I bet if you google tilt front end instructions you will find something. You need to mount the rad. to the frame of truck, bumper to the front clip, and bolt body panels together with spacers in between them to keep alignment. You can build very simple hinges out of some 3/4" x .120 wall tube and 1/2" bolts for pins. Just keep a very sharp eye for the minor details and think things out completely and you'll be ok. ;)

3. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Thanks for the tips, I'm still in the drawing stage but the info on what material to use for the hinges and pins are a big help. I know its's going to be pretty heavy and I plan to use some kind of eletric actuator to open and close.
    I read on another site that I can also make the whole clip slide forward and then open to avoid having to cut the fenders, but I am trying to design a hinge that will let the fenders clear as they open. Almost the same princiole as the way a trunk lid opens.

Thanks again,