Timing Issue

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ltcmikem, Dec 27, 2005.

1. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

My '54 235 has started missing badly and I'm in the process of doing a basic tuneup... new plugs, points, set timing and (yes Nate) a HOT valve adjustment.

The timing issue... I pulled the lower flywheel cover, located the triangle and BB. Polished up that area of the flywheel and using the butt end of a paper match and some white paint I painted the BB. Fired up the 235 and aimed the timing light at the quarter size window above the starter. Couldn't see squat... I'd expected to see that white blob of paint really stand out. It's really awkard trying to see down there, so I can't figure out if I can't get my eyeballs in the right location to see or if the timing is that far off. What's the common experience out there... is the timing mark that hard to see with a timing light... any techniques to make it easier to stuff my head down there or make the mark stand out better?

Mike M
    '27 Chevy
    '41 John Deere B
    '49 GMC FC-150

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The problem is : getting both the timing light's flash to illuminate the inside of the hole _and_ getting your eyeballs to see at the same time . I kinda drape my self over the fender and hold the timing light inverted , my head & face about 2" above the dizzy . I stand on an old 1940's metal milk crate whilst doing this . I also keep a zip tie on the timing light's trigger so it's on all the time , makes things far easier .

Keep at it , once you can clearly see the metal of the flywheel , you can slightly loosen the pinch clamp on the base of the dist. with a stubby flat blade screwdriver and s l o w l y turn it thisa way and that untill you begin to see the Ball Bearing in the window , typically the engine will begin to pick up speed just as you see the BB and then the mechanical advance will cut in and it'll creep out of the window , not to worry , just stop timing it for a moment and go turn the idle stop screw down a wee bit .

You're on the right path , work slowly and CAREFULLY as you're working with rapidly rotating machinery that can and will rip off your fingers or scalp and never even notice...

BTW : painting the stamped in triangle helps too as you'll see it even if the timing is off...

-Nate

3. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

Thanks Nate... as always your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Mike M
    '27 Chevy
    '41 John Deere B
    '49 GMC FC-150