Tire size and fit

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dan cocomise, May 4, 2014.

1. dan cocomise

dan cocomise Member

I want maximum speed on 1948 1/2 ton, what is the tallest radial rear tires that will fit? I have original rims. I have 215/70 /15 in the front. Thanks

2. coilover

coilover Member

If you could find some 295/75's they would be about the tallest radials but I have had to use 285's the last few years. They make taller big tires but 8" is about the max width for a stock fender. Some have 10" tires stuffed in them but I think that would be a smooth road only setup.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Assuming you are sticking with 15" wheels in the rear, LT 215/85 tires might be your best bet. They are about 2.5" taller than the tires you have on the front now. That equates to 9.5% more speed at any given RPM than the your current tires.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tire Size And Road Speed

Most tire manufacturers now have diameter charts , look for a 32" diameter tires , that's about the largest you can get and yes , every little bit makes a big difference , folks who don't understand or who want to sell you what's in stock rather than order in what you need and want , will ignorantly argure this .