To blast or not to blast.....

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by my64bowtie, Feb 27, 2001.

1. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

Can anyone shed some light on the subject of blasting the body pieces. I have been told not to..Ive been told thats the only way to do it...?? Any suggestions or views will be appreciated..
    bowtie@ruraltel.net

2. Rick

Rick Member

Well there is different types of blasting. Allot of people use sand blasting and it's ok but... if your panels are big they could get warped so if you do use sand ,soda,metalparticles etc make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing
    RICK BRADLEY
    TECH2@CHEVYDUTY.COM
    1.816.741.8029 EXT. 500

3. speedball

speedball Member

I would blast because it is the best way to remove paint and rust as well as prepare the surface for primer. I did some of the blasting myself (using sand) and had some done using a plastic media at a professional blaster. If youre careful you won't warp your panels. You can check out my blasting at the following web page. Good luck http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.html

4. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

Does anyone know of media blasters in the Denver or Colorado Springs area?

5. Superman

Superman Member

It is definately not the way to go. I too was told that blasting was the way to go. Although in some cases it is. It's good to do small parts or parts that have lot's of thickness. Parts such as hoods or parts with thin sheet metal SHOULD NOT be blasted. The heat created form the blasting can cause the meatal to warp, costing lots and lots of time and money to repair. I've learned my leason, and any information I can pass on about the matter, can be helpful to the next person that may run into the same problems I have.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Plastic media at 25 psi.
    Will do a nice job without damage to panels. Plastic media can be reused a few times as well.

7. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON May-20-01 AT 01:50 PM (CST)[/font][p]I have finally found a place in Pueblo that does plastic media blasting. And this was after talking to an individual that his bussiness is restoration, and has used this place for years. Thanks for all the responses.

8. rroan

rroan Member

Can anyone recommend a company that soda blasts or uses the plastic beads in the Dallas area? I have a 59 Apache Fleetside.