towing 1949 Chevy 3100 home from De

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by buffalosoldier, Jan 11, 2006.

1. buffalosoldier

buffalosoldier Member

Thanks for welcoming me to your group. My question is how can I tow a 1949 Chevy 3100 truck from Denver, Colorado to Waco, Texas safely.. The truck is at my father-n-laws house in Denver and we are planning on picking it up in June. Can I tow it safely with a car dolly, if so, do I have to tow it frontwards (fornt tires on dolly) or rearwards (rear tires on dolly) & does the closed driveshaft have to be removed, if so, how to I do that....I don't have access to a flat bed trailer at this time, but do have access to a car dolly..... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. A little about the truck, it was used to haul wood for heat in the house and it has been parked since 1975. It is missing the starter and the carburetor... but other than that, it's all original, even down to the 6 volt system... Thanks again for any help you all can give me.... Trent

2. bennyhunch

bennyhunch Member

RE: towing 1949 Chevy 3100 home fro

Welcome Trent
    I would suggest putting on a trailer to move that far.
    Steve:7

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: towing 1949 Chevy 3100

You'd be watning to front tow it -but- you must do some things first !

Replace the tires ! no way around this , sitting since 1975 on used tires means _5_ new ones (gotta have a spare) and tubes too .

Then you'll need to top up the gear oil in the rear end and top up the tranny too . failure to top up the oil means something _WILL_ sieze up and break on the long ride home , if it blows out a rotten tire or the u-joint explodes , expect to wind up in the ditch , truck a total loss ansd you maybe hurt badly .

DO NOT exceed 60 MPH when dollying ! .

Renting a trailer will be much simpler.....

May wind up cheaper too .

-Nate

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

RE: towing 1949 Chevy 3100

I agree totally with Nate on everything he said.

I Know it was a struggle just to dolly a 69 Chevelle frame home From Texas to Ontario Canada.

From my personal experience with my 50 Truck also purchased in TX, it was just better to (in our case buy) get a trailer, strap it down in the four corners and go. But Of course you will still want to replace the tires. You don't want that hevy truck bouncing around and blowing out one of thoes old tires.