Towing a '52 Chevy P.U.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by The Webb, Nov 15, 2005.

1. The Webb

The Webb Member

I installed a tow-bar and mounts to my '52 Chevy P/U.
    It does not tow, except streight, will not make corners.
    Tires just slide.
    Is it necessary to use a tow dolly?
    Any advice would be welcome.:(

2. coilover

coilover Member

Does your truck steer easily? If not you may be getting binding from your steering gear box. Try removing your draglink from the steering arm and then give it a test pull, I bet it will work. Jack it up while the draglink is off and turn your wheels from side to side by getting hold of the front and back of the tire. It should turn very freely. If your draglink is still the factory type with a plug that screws in the end be sure to tie wrap a bag over it after you take it off the ball so you don't lose any of the part's inside it. Also tie it up out of the way. This sounds a bit involved but once you've done it and cleaned the threads up so everything moves freely, it's a five minute job.

3. The Webb

The Webb Member

Thanks Evan.
    I had already tried this.
    My truck steers very easily.
    When I removed the drag link I experienced the same problem.
    It will make curves but will not make corners.
    I have original 16" rims but would not think that would make a difference.
    My tow bar connectors are on the bumper, not the frame, but I don't think this should make a difference either.
    I have never tried pulling anything with a solid front axel, have you?
    I shure would like to be able to pull my truck behind my motor home without a trailer.
    Thanks again for your advice and please send more.

The Webb

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas Member

Farmers often use tow bars to move their pickups from field to field behind farm machinery and tractor.

The tow bar we had for our Stovebolt bolted to the front axle instead of the bumper. The pivot was at the axle point, however there was an extension of the tow bar to the rear which fastened to the tie rod. Thus when you pivoted the tow bar you also moved the steering mechanism.

I expect the old Chevys not wanting to trail is because of the CASTER portion of the steering geometry.

A dolly would probably be easier and safer than to build a tow bar as I've described since you will probably not be using one regularly.

5. coilover

coilover Member

Windy's advice is a lot better than mine, in fact I also remember the axle tow bar hook-up since I grew up in farm country. The cotton wagons around here still use this setup with the clamp fastened to the tie rod. Also the more the caster the more the vehicle wants to go in a straight line, that's why 300MPH dragsters have the kingpins at about a 45 degree angle.

6. The Webb

The Webb Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for the info. & advice.
    The "caster" explanation makes a lot of sence.
    I think I'll go with a tow dolly.
    I'm sure I'll be seeking future advice and I'll try to share any of my knowledge with all.

Sincerely,
    The Webb