Tranns Fit

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dan cocomise, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dan cocomise

dan cocomise Member

I have 1948 1/2 ton original 3 speed on the colum,torque tube.I whant to put a 4 speed in.The 4 speed trans i have is GM 580 474, the i got it from said it came 1949 1/2 ton he whent to S 10 trans, using the same bell housing on his 235.The Ujoint is the same ballcoller is the same input shaft is the same,but the bolt patern is about 1 inch narower left to right on the 4 speed,is there a bellhousing that would make this fit.I do not have ez axses to the inter,so i can not respond.thanks

2. coilover

coilover Member

Is the throwout bearing retainer the same diameter as the one on the three speed? If not, the three speed retainer may interchange. The outside of the retainer fitting exactly into the hole in the bellhousing is what keeps everything in line. If it does you can drill and tap new holes in you bellhousing you have, especially if the new holes would be on flat machined areas. I have several 1/2T AD's with 4 speeds but having to pull the flywheel to get the bellhousing off is a deal killer when they are sitting down in a mosquito and snake infested field. Joe at Dead Zone probably has some already off.