Tranny problems

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Jboisclair, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Jboisclair

Jboisclair Guest

I just bought a 77 GMC Sierra that has a 350 and turbo 350 tranny. I knew the tranny had problems when I bought it, and I just want to get another opinion. It runs fine as far as I can tell, but occationaly the tranny will squeel and rattle while it is stopped. It only happened once while I drove it home today. I shifted it to neutral and back into drive and it quieted a little. When I hit the gas it goes and then stops altogether. I was told it could either be the flywheel or the torque converter. The tranny was just rebuilt, but the place that rebuilt it has just recently went out of business so they couldn't take it back to them to get fixxed. I just want to know if by the description the torque converter or the flywheel could be the problem, or could it be something else? What should I look for once I drop the tranny? Thanks everyone.

JB

2. Jboisclair

Jboisclair Guest

Well I did some reading last night and it loks to be the torque converter. I also just noticed that it gives a loud thud when going into reverse, but hopefully that will be fixxed when I rebuild it again when I replace the torque converter. Does anyone have an tips for rebuilding a turbo 350 tranny? Thanks everyone for any help.

JB

3. Frankc

Frankc Member

From what you are saying it sounds like the torque converter is the problem. I would replace it. My question to you is way do you want to rebuild the tranny?