tranny questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by mavrick_jlr, Nov 30, 2001.

1. mavrick_jlr

mavrick_jlr Member

How do identify trannys? 350t, 400t, 700 ect...What do i look for in a used tranny?Which is the easiest to rebuild? How do i id a powerglide and are they anygood?

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Member

This webpage has information you can use to know the differences in spotting each type of transmission. As far as rebuilding, I'd have to say THM-350 is the easiest, followed by THM-400...they are very similar inside. 700-R4 is growing in popularity, due mainly to it's low gear ratios in 1st and 2nd, and having overdrive is nice on the streets and highways (and is my personal favorite). The 200-4R is a decent daily driver transmission, but is terrible at handling anything with much power. I would steer clear of them. Powerglides are virtually indestructable, and can take a lot of power and abuse, but having only 2 gears is kind of restrictive. It's all in what you want to do with it. If you have any more questions about this, feel free to e-mail me at macgyver717665@yahoo.com, and I'll do my best to help you out.